- It is for the first time when Kaufland, one of the largest retail companies in Romania, offers public and fully transparent access to the results of the investments behind the economic performance;
- The report shows that the company is one of the most important investors in Romania, allocating EUR 6 million per year for community development projects;
- More than 70% of the Kaufland suppliers are Romanian producers; the company has an important role in the country’s economic development;
- Over 15,000 Romanians were working at Kaufland Romania in 2016-2017. The company is one of the largest private employers in the country, being also ranked as Top Employer, offering salaries and benefits that exceed the legal obligations.
Kaufland Romania announces the publication of the first Sustainability Report presenting the company’s achievements and the impact of its activity in the financial year 2016-2017 (March 1, 2016 – February 28, 2017). The report observes the most important international reporting standard, Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), the compliance option Core, thus proving transparency towards all its partners.
The most important fields of the Kaufland Romania 2016 Sustainability Report include: corporate ethics and governance, the sustainability vision and strategy, the reduction of food waste, the fair working environment, the reduction of the environmental footprint, the supplier chain, the Kaufland Romania community and others.
The validation of the Sustainability Report
In order to make its partners be confident that the presented information in the Report is exactly reflecting the Kaufland Romania performance, the company used the services of an independent provider that conducted a verification process of the information according to the AA1000AS international standard. Thus, we obtained the validation of the data presented in the report.
The Report was also validated by Global Reporting Initiative, for complying with the requirements of the reporting standards in terms of achieving the Content Index.
The Report analyzes the company’s activity in terms of employee development, community contribution, supply chain investment, or environmental protection – and also provides information on the company’s performance from a sustainable development perspective, along with a range of goals and targets for the next financial year.
“Kaufland Romania is an open, transparent organization, whose objective is to fulfill more than the minimum mandatory legal requirements and to achieve or exceed the best international practices that exist. This can materialize by working together with our partners. We strongly believe that the report is a first step to sustain this common journey to a better future for us and for the coming generations. We are here on a long term and we want to sustainably develop together with the Romanian society and economy. Sustainability is an integrant part of our way of doing business. We make decisions by carefully weighing our impact on the environment, on the communities in which we are operating, on the supplier chain, on our customers and employees, because we have an essential role in the community” stated the Kaufland Romania Communication and Corporate Affairs Manager, Valer Hancas.
The company supports the local economy by encouraging procurements form Romanian producers, by promoting transparent and responsible practices in the relationships with the business partners, by the support and care for the employees, as well as by its contribution to increase the awareness on topics like the responsible consumption, the care for the environment and the support of the local communities.
Key results in Kaufland Romania’s activity in 2016-2017 (March, 2016 – February, 2017):
- In 2016, the company invested more than EUR 100 million modernizing and expanding the network, in order to be able to offer Romanians the most modern shopping experience;
- 2.000 own brand products and 70 Kaufland’s own brands are the company’s commitment for the best value for money;
- More than 70% of the company’s suppliers are Romanian;
- More than 50% of the sold products are domestic, the company’s procurement policy giving priority to local producers;
Kaufland – a responsible employer
- 15,478 employees were working in the company on February 28, 2017;
- The average age of the team is 36 years;
- The company supports gender equality: for example, 47% of the middle management positions are held by women;
- Kaufland believes in equal opportunities for everyone: for example, in 2016, 7.89% of the employees were over 50, and 69 employees were people with disabilities;
- Also in 2016-2017, the minimum salary in Kaufland was higher than the minimum salary provided by the law; today, the gross income offered by Kaufland Romania to the commercial workers is RON 2,800 per month, including meal vouchers and Christmas and Easter gift vouchers;
- The company offers health insurance to its employees, additional leave days, professional development opportunities, discount vouchers and other benefits;
- 1,809 employees have benefited from the training courses implemented by the company in 2016;
Kaufland is an active supporter of the local communities:
- Kaufland has invested more than EUR 6 million (RON 28,580,183) in the community, through the projects carried out with NGOs in 2016, in social cases, sports & health, education, culture and environment;
- More than 800,000 people have benefited from the Kaufland investment in the community;
- Environmental protection is an important issue for Kaufland. Over 47,000 tons of waste were recycled in 2015 & 2016, including plastic, packaging, batteries, cooking oil, etc.
In drawing up the report, the company conducted a market research in which all its partners were involved: employees, suppliers, customers, business partners, authorities, media and NGOs, in order to establish the themes that influence their relationship with Kaufland Romania.
The report is part of a large sustainability investment process started by the company. Within this process, Kaufland also created its first sustainability team. The team brings together 15 representatives of each department of the company who have been trained through training sessions by business sustainability experts.
The Sustainability Report is fully available at www.kaufland.ro.