President Traian Basescu considers that the premier breached the pact on foreign policy, justice and rule of law. Premier Ponta replies, saying that Basescu is a liar and that he will ignore him from now on.
Less than a week from his last public address in which he accused Premier Victor Ponta of “gravely infringing” the pact of cohabitation, the president once again lashed out at the head of the government. Basescu said Monday night, in a press statement at the Cotroceni Palace, that the premier infringed the pact on foreign policy, justice and rule of law. “Because of this reason, I decided that, before any measure, I will initiate the mechanism of consultation provided by point seven of the accord, tomorrow (yesterday) with discussions at technical level for an analysis on the aforementioned topics,” the president said, quoted by Mediafax. Among the infringements to the accord, he listed Ponta’s statements on Kosovo and those on the political regime of Syria, which placed Romania in a damaging position: “Today we would have been in a very solid position, if the line I gave were maintained, which is prudence in the relation with Syria. I only gave you the public examples, there are many others, not public, which will have to be clarified.”
In a different move, the president talked about the case of prosecutor Liviu Papici, released from office at the end of last week by general prosecutor Tiberiu Nitu, repeating that this decision was made at the order of Ponta, who thus breached the law and the cohabitation pact. According to the president, Justice Minister Robert Cazanciuc is currently “held in place” by the orders of Ponta, who has no attributions in proposing the nominations of prosecutors. Basescu added that the premier must deal with unemployment, with how European money is used, and shale gas, but has no attribution related to the judiciary. He explained that, under the Constitution, it is the president who must supervise the good functioning of institutions, and his dialogue with the general prosecutor is part of this provision: “Sometimes I call him, on other occasions it is him who calls me on the phone, with regard to matters that pertain to his duties.”
Basescu rejected the accusations about the nominations to the DNA representing a fight over influence between the two Palaces: “I will agree to it only if at least one of these liars, these truth forgers who say that Basescu controls the prosecutors, if at least one prosecutor will say <
Furthermore, Basescu stated that much of the accord of collaboration with the premier became part of the Mechanism of Cooperation and Verification (MCV): “This was the source of my reluctance to denounce it, but provisions of the accord and MCV were already demolished by the moves made of late.”
He added that, following the talks about continuing the cohabitation pact due to take place yesterday at Cotroceni, he expects seeing the premier “right the wrongs”, but cannot tell on TV “what he must fix in his behaviour.” “We do not consider another pact, we consider whether this Pact still exists and we will find out tomorrow (yesterday),” Basescu mentioned. Asked if he fears a new impeachment, he answered: “We will gladly bear everything, be it peace or war” and reminded that he has a 5-year term of office, warning that he might request to be granted the months he spent on suspension.
“Ponta lies as he breathes”
The president continued his attack against Ponta saying that the prime minister is used to “lying as he breathes,” in reference to what the head of the government said about the phone conversations between the two Palaces. “He said: <
Keeping Dragnea in the government, a mistake
Traian Basescu believes that keeping Liviu Dragnea in the government is “a mistake,” after he was formally arraigned in the case of the 2012 referendum: “USL probably no longer feels any responsibility for a good MCV report. (…) It is obvious that it is more important for them to defend their people than allow the country to have a favourable report, politicians clearly represent a brake to Romania’s evolution to Schengen an to a respectability which our justice deserves, but which – due to the things going on in the Senate, the government – will really bring us negative appreciations for everything we do here, and it’s a shame.”
Upset with the how the privatisation of CFR Marfa went on
In a separate move, Basescu said that anyone who sees how the privatisation of CFR Marfa is going on can easily reach the conclusion that this privatisation will make the object of a DNA probe, sooner or later: “There is a winner of the auction for which efforts are made now to push back the payment deadlines. I only say it preventively: <
Basescu is the big liar, I will ignore him, Ponta says
President Traian Basescu is the big liar who invents all kind of things, PM Victor Ponta said on Antena 3, adding that he will personally ignore his outbursts of criticism.
As for the accusations launched by the president about the minister of Justice being “kept” at his orders, Ponta answered that the minister of Justice talks with the head of the government and with the Parliament, if he is asked to do so, which ends the abnormal and anti-constitutional situation experienced after 2005, when the former chiefs of this ministry (Monica Macovei and Catalin Predoiu) only talked with the president. He reiterated that the only politician who calls the general prosecutor on the phone is President Basescu.
According to Ponta, Basescu threatened him that “he will pay” for suspending him in 2012, but neither he, nor Liviu Dragnea fears these threats, as nobody can be investigated for voting in a referendum, “regardless of what will be passed through an MCV.”
“I did not conclude a pact with Traian Basescu, but with the citizens of Romania. A pact whereby I said I do not want to have a political crisis, but neither may we leave to Traian Basescu to lead the Government, and the public prosecutor, as he did it for a while. (…) Is the President’s job to tell the Attorney General who to name heads of departments? “, said Prime Minister Victor Ponta at Antena 3.
Ponta replied to Basescu’s comments according to which he might extend his term by two months in order to recuperate the time he missed while suspended from office last year by saying: I don’t want to be harsh, but I think that he (Basescu) has to give us back the ten years he stole from us”.
Antonescu: The discussion about the pact of cohabitation, ridiculous
PNL president Crin Antonescu said yesterday that the discussion between Basescu and Ponta about the pact of cohabitation is “ridiculous” and only keeps away from their jobs two ministers, as well as the presidential aides who have a party to build. “(…) What is there to be mediated by the minister of Justice (…) and the minister of Foreign Affairs? A reconciliation. Between who? Between two citizens with temporarily important positions. (…) But cannot everybody see how the cohabitation pact went on? For a while it went on well, they acted in support of their interests, then the situation changed,” Antonescu stated, reiterating that Basescu was the “big beneficiary” of the pact.