Minister of National Defence Mircea Dusea said, on Monday, at Deveselu that the amount of expenditure for the Romanian side on the military base until it begins operating is up to about EUR 8,98 M (RON 40 M), Agerpres reports. Out of that amount, this year, some EUR 1.12 M( RON 5 M) were spent in Deveselu commune for utilities, respectively the construction of the water, sewage systems and the upgrading of the road linking the military unit to the national route. Dusa mentioned that, at Deveselu, the Ministry of Defense is to also commission some works for the renovation of spaces assigned as dwellings for the Romanian military. Minister Dusa appreciated the cooperation with American partners and noted that deadlines and responsibilities were set, so that the works to be carried out within the set timetable.
He described the strategic partnership between Romania and the U.S. as a special one, and stressed that there is a Romanian-American investment at Deveselu.
Frank Rose: Deveselu Base not to be affected by budget cuts in the US
The Deveselu Base will not be affected by the budget cuts in the US, Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Space and Defence Policy Frank Rose (photo) said on Tuesday, adding the greatest share of the funds for Deveselu had been allocated for the building of the base.
Rose told a roundtable conference hosted by the US Embassy in Bucharest that Romania has been a fantastic partner, both at the negotiations over the agreement and as far as working, cooperating with us on implementing the agreement was concerned, adding that what is expected of Romania is just to continue the excellent cooperation it has already displayed. Asked about the imminent threats that the missile defence system should guard against, he said the system is no attempt at undermining the strategic stability of Russia or China, but it will focus on regional players like Iran and North Korea.
Romania-Poland-Turkey three-way cooperation meeting
State Secretary for Strategic Affairs with Romania’s Foreign Ministry (MAE) Bogdan Aurescu on Monday organised a Romania-Poland-Turkey three-way cooperation meeting to discuss strategy and security as well as the interests of the three countries inside NATO and in the region. “The three parties exchanged opinions on security issues of mutual interest, with special emphasis on the participation in the US and NATO ballistic missile defence systems, the implementation of NATO’s Smart Defence concept, as well as neighbourhood policy and other topics of shared interest. The three parties voiced their firm determination to continue their participation in the US missile defence system, which will be an essential contribution to the NATO ballistic missile defence system. They also reviewed the latest developments in this system inside NATO,” MAE reports in a press release.
MAE says the meeting was organised at Romania’s initiative in continuation of three previous similar meetings – in May 2012 in Chicago, in November 2012 in Bucharest and in May 2013 in Izmir – and preparations were discussed for the fourth such meeting, in Poland, at the level of state secretaries in the first quarter of 2014.