Social-democrat Grebla – approved judge with the Constitutional Court





PSD decided to propose Senator Toni Grebla instead of Bolcas for the position.

Early yesterday, Lucian Bolcas, former member of PRM and PSD’s proposal for the position of judge at the Constitutional Court, declined the appointment following a previous meeting with PM Victor Ponta at government headquarters.
In a statement for Antena 3, Bolcas explained his decision was the result of “unjustified accusations” and attacks brought against him that he characterized as an “infamy,” underlining that these accusations also harm his supporters. In turn, PM Victor Ponta stated that Bolcas does not want the position of judge at the Constitutional Court “given President Traian Basescu’s aversion toward him.”
“I had a talk with Mr. Bolcas today and he told me he does not wish to run, given President Traian Basescu’s aversion toward him. (…) It was crucial for such an important institution as the Constitutional Court not to be blocked by the fight President Traian Basescu has announced he would put up,” Ponta said.
Several hours after Bolcas’s withdrawal from the race, PSD announced a new Senate proposal for the Constitutional Court, namely PSD senator Toni Grebla. Senators on Monday approved Grebla as judge at the Constitutional Court. He received 123 votes ‘in favour’, two ‘against’ and one ‘abstention’.
Toni Grebla is a lawyer and he had been President of the Senate’s Legal Commission under the previous legislation. As of 2009, he is a member of this Commission.
Last week, President Traian Basescu stated he would not take part in the swearing-in ceremony of Lucian Bolcas as Constitutional Court judge because it is “unacceptable” for “a man with his mentality” to be appointed at the CC. According to the Constitutional Court legislation, judges are sworn in before the Romanian President and the two Chamber Speakers.
Lucian Bolcas has been a member of PSD Ilfov for two years. In an interview published yesterday by ‘Jurnalul National’ newspaper, Bolcas denied allegations of anti-Semitism and underlined he was merely President Traian Basescu’s opponent. The new wave of attacks against him, he continued, was initiated by the Head of State. “The President, Traian Basescu, started this offensive because he wishes to maintain control over state institutions through agreeable persons selected by the Presidency,” Bolcas stated.

Leave a Reply