• What impression has made the Romanian public on you in the first place and how do you see it now? How receptive are local managers?
The people who have attended my seminars in Romania have always been positive, intelligent and open to new ideas. Today, because of increased competition in Europe and worldwide, my seminar students are more interested in learning about business and personal success than ever before.
Romanian managers are very concerned about getting results for themselves and for their businesses. They are receptive and open to new ideas from all over the world that will help them to be more effective and productive.
• Your book Maximum Achievement: Strategies and Skills That Will Unlock Your Hidden Powers to Succeed was written 1993 during a time of transition for Romania. What profile corresponds to the Romanian leader?
Romanian leaders have the same responsibilities as leaders worldwide. Their job is to achieve the most important results for which they are responsible.
My book, Maximum Achievement explains some of the most important qualities of top managers worldwide:
1) They accept high levels of personal responsibility for getting results, and they refuse to make excuses or to complain;
2) They set clear goals and objectives for the company, for their departments, for themselves, and for each person;
3) They set clear measures, standards and benchmarks so that everyone knows how to measure success;
4) They continually learn new things to upgrade their skills and abilities;
5) They reward people for excellent performance at the business task.
• Principles, techniques, advice, laws, all meant to help smooth the road to personal and professional success. Is there a unique recipe for everybody? How much is self-suggestion and how much capacity to achieve?
There are certain success principles in business and personal life that are the same worldwide. I have spoken to more than five million people in 65 countries and I find that successful people are all the same.
Successful people have certain characteristics and qualities in common:
1) Successful people accept responsibility for themselves, their lives and for their results;
2) Successful people have clear goals and written plans that they work on every day;
3) Successful people continually learn, develop and grow to become better and more competent at their work;
4) Successful people feed their minds with positive education in the form of books, seminars, audio programs and additional learning opportunities;
5) Successful people are very persistent. They never give up on the way to achieving their most important goals.
• The financial crisis changed the strategies used by the players of the business environment. Has the financial crisis added new elements to the theory of the “philosophy of success?” What opportunities do you believe the crisis has brought to opportunities?
The three most important awards in business today are, “Competition, Competition, Competition.”
To succeed in today’s economy, your products and services must be excellent in every way. They must be better than those of your competitors. And they must be continually improving and getting better relative to the competition.
The most important advance in business in the last few years has been the understanding of the importance of the customer. Today, you must work very closely with your customers to be sure that you are offering the very best products and services at the very best prices. Whenever you can do this, you can create a business opportunity or a new business.
• Based on your more than 30 years of experience, during which you worked with over 1,000 companies, many of them belonging to the Fortune 500, please give us several examples of leaders who can represent models of success.
The very best way to measure a business leader is by the results that he or she is able to achieve. Some of the top leaders today are:
1) Steve Jobs. Jobs was successful because of his insistence on high quality products using new technology to satisfy customers with products and services that they did not know that they needed or wanted until Apple offered them to the market;
2) Jeff Bezos. Bezos is successful because he continually invests billions of dollars to improve customer service, to offer more and more products at lower prices, and to deliver them faster than ever before;
3) Meg Whitman. Meg Whitman is the president of Hewlett Packard Corporation and through vigorous action, innovation, and executive ability; she has turned the company around from problems and money losses to profitability and growth within two years. She is an example of a top female executive in the Fortune 500;
4) Indra Nooyi. She is the president of PepsiCo – one of the biggest beverage and food distributors in the world today. She has risen up through the company and become the president because of her incredible ability to coordinate large numbers of people and products to achieve high levels of sales and profits;
5) There are many other leaders. Each of the men and women heading up large companies has risen over many years on the basis of their leadership ability and their ability to get important business results.
Each person can be a leader, even with no followers. A person who accepts responsibility for getting results becomes a leader from that moment onward.
I am very much looking forward to returning to Romania and to sharing some of the newest and best ideas on business and personal success with my friends and students.
Brian Tracy is Chairman and CEO of Brian Tracy International, a company specializing in the training and development of individuals and organizations.He has written and produced more than 300 audio and video learning programs, including the worldwide, best-selling Psychology of Achievement, which has been translated into more than 20 languages.Brian Tracy has consulted for more than 1,000 companies and addressed more than 5,000,000 people in 5,000 talks and seminars throughout the US, Canada and 55 other countries worldwide.