SEPANG – Britain’s Jenson Button won a Malaysian Grand Prix abandoned due to rain on Sunday for his second victory in a row for the new Brawn GP team. Half points will be awarded because only 32 of the scheduled 56 laps had been completed. The race was red-flagged when a torrential downpour, with thunderclaps and lightning streaking across the darkened skies, made driving conditions impossible. Button, the championship leader who had started from pole position after a Brawn one-two in the Australian season-opener last weekend, was leading behind the safety car when officials called a halt.
Provisional driver standings
1. Jenson Button (Britain) Brawn 15 points
2. Rubens Barrichello (Brazil) Brawn 10
3. Jarno Trulli (Italy) Toyota 8.5
4. Timo Glock (Germany) Toyota 8
5. Nick Heidfeld (Germany) BMW Sauber 4
6. Fernando Alonso (Spain) Renault 4