Chisinau Mayor and opposition leader Dorin Chirtoaca said he received confirmation on Tuesday that a second person was killed in Republic of Moldova authorities’ crackdown on anti-communist protesters last week, Realitatea TV said. Earlier this week, Moldovan authorities were accused of beating another protester to death.
The victim was Ion Tibuleac, a young man who suffered multiple lesions – broken ribs, internal haemorrhage, a broken leg, Chirtoaca said. “The young man also had many head injuries. He was already buried because his family did not make public the information immediately. We will try to find out more and make public what we learn of the case,” Chirtoaca explained.
The report was first published by the daily ‘Jurnal de Chisinau’, which said that the young man’s body had been dumped in front of the Chisinau emergency hospital by a car belonging to the Interior Ministry.
Tibuleac’s family said that they were not allowed to see their son’s body at the morgue and that they were told the death had been caused by electrocution, Chirtoaca said. “The family is in a state of shock. On April 7, the young man left for Chisinau with another friend and he didn’t come back. Some other people in the village said they saw him on TV with other protesters,” the Chisinau mayor added. The newspaper had reported that Tibuleac’s body was dumped on the night of April 7, following the violent anti-communist protests in Chisinau earlier in the day. About 200 demonstrators were arrested and most of them are still under detention either in Chisinau or in undisclosed locations, according to parts of the Moldovan and Romanian media. Earlier this week, a 23-year-old man who had been arrested died and the victim’s family charge that he died because of the severe beatings he was subjected to while in detention.
Chirtoaca added that unfortunately, cases of torture, inhumane and degrading treatment in detention continue in Moldova. “Unfortunately, we have not yet seen an adequate international response – except one person, a UN Human Rights representative who actually visited a penitentiary, nobody else tried to conduct any direct research,” he added.
Meanwhile, a 29-year-old man who was held and then released following his involvement in the demonstrations told Realitatea TV about how dozens of people were brutally beaten up and humiliated for taking part in the protests. Iurie Craciuneac said he was tortured and severely beaten up by the police during the entire time he was kept under arrest.