The Depeche Mode concert scheduled Saturday in the Izvor Park of Bucharest has only little chance being staged, after the band canceled its concerts in Greece and Turkey. “The concert scheduled for May 16 in Bucharest is not canceled, as we are expecting news about Dave Gahan’s health as well as an official position of band representatives regarding the Bucharest concert and the other shows of the tour,” organizer Emagic stated yesterday. Sources close to organizers told HotNews.ro that “it is most likely” that the concert will be canceled. Andreea Filip, communication manager with event organizer Emagic, had earlier told HotNews.ro that “as far as we know, the schedule will be observed and the concerts in Bucharest and Istanbul will take place.” The Bulgarian promoters of Sofia Music Enterprises, which organize the Depeche Mode concert in Bulgaria, due on Monday, already announced that the Bucharest show was canceled, Mediafax reports.
According to a spokesperson for the band, Dave Gahan was diagnosed with gastroenteritis, but there are hopes he will get well soon and will be able to take his place on stage at the end of this week, according to Monsters and Critics. “Dave wasn’t well, we called a doctor and his advice was that Dave should not sing. I apologise on behalf on Dave and Depeche Mode – Dave really tried to hold this concert,” the spokesperson said. “I am very sorry, but there is nothing I can do – he is very ill. He asked me to apologise to all his fans.” The band – which sold over 45 million albums since 1980 – hopes to reschedule the Athens concert, which got canceled as well.
Gahan fell ill while he was in the make-up room, before the Athens concert.