The former general mayor of Bucharest, Adriean Videanu, together with 23 other employees of the Bucharest Municipality (PMB) must pay to the institution nearly RON 5 M, which were ineffectively spent on works to the Lia Manoliu arena and on road kerbs. Last year, the Court of Auditors notified the Bucharest tribunal over irregularities it found at PMB in a contract for purchasing a plot of land in Mihailesti commune, unjustified payments for road works, a prejudice to the social insurances budget, and the delay in paying a certain sum to the budget. On May 28, the Bucharest Tribunal supported the Court of Auditors’ position.
Videanu, now the Minister of Economy, was not formally announced about the Tribunal’s decision, but when he will be notified, he will appeal. According to a right to retort posted on the Ministry of the Economy’s web site, Videanu can appeal the decision within 15 days from the moment he will be announced.
Asked about his opinion on this case, President Traian Basescu said on Saturday that he does not make comments on politicians, as they are in campaign, while he is not.
PM Emil Boc commented on the case yesterday and voiced his opinion that the Romanian legal system will be correct and give the right solution. In turn, Videanu said the ruling came as a surprise and suggested that the court magistrates did not read the file carefully.
On the other hand, the president of the National Liberal Party, Crin Antonescu also on Saturday declared in Petrosani that he doesn’t believe President Basescu will seek Videanu’s resignation. “Today we have a minister who was condemned by court, Mr. Adriean Videanu. He certainly has the right to appeal, but he was sentenced for fraud with public money. And I do not see the president of Romania telling him: > No, Videanu is good, because the money he embezzled was split with someone,” Antonescu said.