23.5 C
Bucharest
June 18, 2021
SPORTS

NEWS IN BRIEF

Sorana Carstea ranks 27 in WTA classification


Tennis player Sorana Carstea, who played last week in the quarterfinals of the Grand Slam tournament from Roland Garros, climbed 14 positions, and and ranks on the 27 spot with 1,796 points, in the WTA classification released on Monday. This is the best position ever occupied by Carstea in her career. The next Romanian athlete is Monica Niculescu who descended five places, being now on position 63, with 980 points, Three other Romanian athletes are among the top 100 players of the world: Alexandra Dulgheru, Edina Gallovits and Raluca-Ioana Olaru. Dulgheru dropped three places being now on the position 86, with 771 points, Gallovits ranks 89, after she dropped three positions, with 742 points, while Olaru also descended three places being now on position 91, with 729 points.


Inspired Federer wins in Paris to complete slam


Roger Federer ended his French Open jinx when he swept past Swede Robin Soderling 6-1 7-6 6-4 in the final to clinch his first Roland Garros title on Sunday. The Swiss equalled Pete Sampras’s record of 14 grand slam titles and became the sixth man to win all four major tournaments, sealing victory in just under two hours in cloudy conditions.


Kuznetsova clinches French Open title


Svetlana Kuznetsova won her second grand slam title when she outplayed fellow Russian and world number one Dinara Safina 6-4 6-2 in the French Open final on Saturday. The seventh-seeded Kuznetsova, U.S. Open champion in 2004, dictated the points consistently and prevailed after 74 minutes on Centre Court to deny Safina a first grand slam title.

Related posts

Champions League: FC Copenhagen through, Spurs, Schalke, United on top

Test

NEWS IN BRIEF

Test

Motorcyclists from 14 countries participate in international de ‘hard-enduro’ race in Arad

Nine O' Clock
Social

NEWS IN BRIEF

Five killed, four injured in Ilfov county traffic accident


Five people died and four others were hospitalized in severe condition following a traffic accident on National Road 2 in Ilfov County, according to Realitatea TV. The accident took place on Sunday evening. Four of the victims, including a five-year-old child, died on the scene, according to the Ilfov Police Inspectorate. The fifth person died yesterday in Bucharest’s Floreasca Hospital. The other people who were injured in the crash, including a seven-year-old girl, were admitted to three Bucharest hospitals. Police began an inquiry to establish the exact causes of the accident in which three vehicles were involved.


Court cancels political
police verdict
for Archbishop Pimen



The National Council for the Study of Securitate Archives’ (CNSAS) verdict that Suceava Archbishop Pimen was guilty of running political police activities during the communist rule was cancelled by the Bucharest Court of Appeals, according to daily ‘Romania libera’ on Saturday. Pimen’s collaboration with the Securitate and the Foreign Intelligence Department was not challenged however. Moreover, the court’s decision is not final and can be appealed. The court decided to cancel the verdict because it was based on a law that was later on declared unconstitutional. Pimen was found guilty of involvement in political police activities in October 2007. He reportedly gave information to the Securitate about priests and members of the Romanian Diaspora while he was working abroad at the Romanian Orthodox Church’s orders, the CNSAS ruled.


President wants magistrates’ salary law re-examined


President Traian Basescu on Friday refused to pass the government’s emergency ordinance granting various salary rights to legal system personnel, the presidential administration said in a press release. The president sent the law back to Parliament for re-examination. The law was sent to Senate Speaker Mircea Geoana, according to the same source. In his request, the president said that in the context of the current financial crisis, it would be better if the payment of these amounts would be suspended. The decision was heavily criticised by the head of the Romanian Magistrates’ Association, Mona Maria Pivniceru, who said she would notify the European Court of Justice about President Basescu’s refusal to pass the law. In Pivniceru’s opinion, the president’s attitude is only discrediting the legal authority in Romania, Agerpres reported.


Vlas sentenced to ten years in prison


The High Court last week decided to maintain the ten-year imprisonment sentence against Ioana Maria Vlas, in the trial regarding the collapse of the National Investment Fund (FNI). The ruling is final and cannot be appealed. Vlas was set to be re-incarcerated on Friday, to serve the rest of the sentence, as she has already spent five years in imprisonment. Vlas was accused of having tricked thousands of investors into the fund, who then lost their money after the FNI collapsed.

Related posts

Dutch MP calls for jobless East-European immigrants to be expelled

Test

Policeman defies all traffic regulations

Test

Deputy PM Barna: Discrepancies in reporting COVID-19 deaths, a real problem but not a conspiracy

NINE O'CLOCK
BUSINESS

NEWS IN BRIEF

ING to exit 10 of the 48 countries it operates in


AMSTERDAM – Dutch financial group ING Groep NV (ING.AS) will leave 10 of the 48 countries it currently operates in and sell 10 to 15 businesses over the next three to five years, Chief Executive Jan Hommen said on Thursday. In a presentation for the Goldman Sachs Financials Conference in Frankfurt, a copy of which was posted on ING’s website, Hommen also confirmed the company’s plan to raise 6 billion to 8 billion euros ($8.51-$11.35 billion) through asset sales. ING, which received a 10 billion euro capital injection from the Dutch government last October, unveiled a plan in April to slim down and shed assets, including the targets for proceeds and number of businesses to be sold.


Proprietatea Fund
to select
the administrator today



The selection commission of Proprietatea Fund to select today the administrator of the fund, after having extended from two to three days the deadline for the elaboration and conveyance of the invitation to the two finalists, which will submit improved financial offers, Mediafax informs.“The selection commission informs that the invitation for the submission of the final offers was sent to the two candidates who participate in the third stage of the selection procedure. Thus, according to the invitation, the candidates have to submit the final offers on June 9, 2009, until 16:00, and the opening of the final offers takes place on the same day at 18:00”, according to a press release of the commission.

Related posts

CONAF elected to WEgate Council European Commission platform

NINE O'CLOCK

Romania’s country brand needs revamping

Test

BNR posts 1.12bn lei profit in 2014

Nine O' Clock
BUSINESS

NEWS IN BRIEF

Boc urges constructors
to observe deadlines



PM Emil Boc warned the constructors working at the extension of Bucharest North surrounding ring, that they shall not receive the funds unless they develop works in keeping with the schedule and if they raise various problems to exceed the deadline, Mediafax informs. He inspected, together with Transport Minister, the yard of Bucharest North surrounding ring, inquiring about the stage of the works and he indicated that the Executive would provide funds only to those companies which develop a proper work in relation to the investment projects. “If the works observe the schedule agreed, you shall have resources, if you raise problems and other things, then there is no money. Keep you foot on the acceleration, you have resources, you do not keep it, you shall not have”, Boc told the workers. He reminded that the Executive was also relying on the EUR 5 bln. loan taken from the European Commission to finance these investment projects. The head of the Government checked the stage of the works at Bucharest ring two weeks ago also, when he noted that the project had delays.


Morocco to start production
of Dacia Sandero



Dacia Sandero model shall be produced, as of June 18, in Morocco, as well, Renault Group informed, cited by Agerpres. Sandero shall be assembled at Somaca plant from Casablanca, with parts produced in Romania. Currently, the models Logan and Logan MCV of the Dacia range are produced in the Moroccan plant. The investment of the Romanian – French group in Casablanca assembly line amounts to EUR 16 M.


In addition, the he investments of the Dacia – Renault group in environment protection have exceeded EUR 17 M over 2000 – 2009, based on an official press release of the automotive producer. At the same time, the group announced the launch of the Environment Declaration, a document that defines the objectives set for reducing the impact of the plant activities over the environment. The declaration is a guiding document in the field of environment protection, which enables a 10 – year vision related to the developments foreseen for the industrial site in Mioveni.


EC welcomes Gov’t scheme of subsidized guarantees for loans


The European Commission (EC) issued an opinion on a scheme submitted by the Government to support companies which experience financial difficulties by state aid under the form of guaranties subsidized for investment loans and working capital, to complete until December 31, 2010, Mediafax informs. “The measure proposed by Romania facilitates the access of companies to loans. This is an efficient modality to encourage investments in business and also economic recovery, without distorting competition in an unjustified manner”, according to those declared by the European Commissioner, Neelie Kroes, in an EC press release issued on Monday. The scheme submitted by the Government meets the terms from the temporary regulatory Frame on state aid provided by the EU authorities within the context of the financial and economic crisis, adopted by the EC, since it is time bound, it observes the relevant thresholds and it addresses only the companies which were not experiencing difficulties on July 1, 2008, according to the press release.


185,000 have debts at banks


The number of those experiencing difficulties and delays in relation to the payments due advanced in April by 6.3 per cent compared to the previous month, exceeding 185,000 persons, and accounting for more than 18 per cent of the total number of debtors, according to the data released by National Bank of Romania (BNR) regarding the loans amounting to at least RON 20,000, Mediafax informs.


The number of debtors with due payments dropped in March, for the first time this year, by 5.15 per cent, to 174,262 persons, but it advanced again in April to 185,264 persons, based on the centralized data released by the Central for bank risks. The evolution in April could be also correlated to the Easter Holidays, when many persons may have decided to postpone the payment of installments.

Related posts

We share the objective of the CAS reduction, but we want to understand how the deficit will be covered

Nine O' Clock

2009 budget deficit within IMF target

Test

Carrefour Romania opens its first online store

Nine O' Clock