6.5 C
Bucharest
March 2, 2021
Social

Charges pressed against young men for attacks against Romanians at Belfast

Two teenagers, aged 15 and 16 respectively, were arrested this week end during a police action, in the Southern part of Belfast, Realitatea TV informs, citing Irish Independent.


The charges pressed against the two were related to defying conduct during an antic-racism march organized in the center of Belfast. The one aged 15 was also accused of intimating the families of Romanians.


Following this incident, the head of police in North Ireland had a meeting with Romania’s Ambassador in London, Ion Jinga. The Romanian diplomat indicated that he was shocked by these attacks, mentioning that “this was encouraged by the people reaction to this.”


The authorities in North Ireland claim that measures were taken for the families of Romanians to be safe and treated adequately. “The Ambassador assured that such acts would not be tolerated in North Ireland and those who did this would be firmly pursued”, according to a speaker from North Ireland.


The Romanian Minister of Foreign Affairs, Cristian Diaconescu, said that so far the 140 Romanian citizens in Belfast, out of whom 40 under-aged, have expressed, at a certain time, the intention to return to the country. “Immediately after these incidents occurred, our diplomatic office got in contact with the local authorities and the cooperation is irreproachable,” Diaconescu said, cited by Mediafax.

Related posts

Massive blaze in the Capital

Nine O' Clock

IntMin Dan: Migration phenomenon is under control at the south-est border, supplementation of personnel taken into account

Nine O' Clock

NEWS IN BRIEF

Test