SPORTS

NEWS IN BRIEF

Galca, Amariei and Vintila to become free of contract


Rulmentul Brasov’s Ionela Galca, Carmen Amariei and Simona Vintila will become players free of contract, thus winning the memo they had filed against the Brasov-based women’s handball club. Mihai Marinescu, the secretary general of the Romanian Handball Federation, has stated for Mediafax that the three players can sign for any club because the deadline that the Federation gave to Rulmentul in order for the latter to pay its past dues had expired at midnight on Monday.


‘It’s more than certain that Galca, Amariei and Vintila will become free of contract… likewise, Lidjia Horvath will probably have the same fate.


It’s likely that in her case too we will give Rulmentul a week at most to pay all its dues to her if it wants to keep her. Unfortunately, she will probably have the same fate although personally I would be happy if Rulmentul manages to pay them all. Unfortunately, I don’t believe that will happen, especially since there are several Rulmentul players that have expressed their interest in these procedures but that lack a complete file so we cannot take their memos into consideration just yet,’ Mihai Marinescu stated. Ten days ago Rulmentul announced through a press communiqué that it gives up its negotiations with Ionela Galca, Carmen Amariei and Simona Vintila because of their high financial pretensions. However, in what concerns Lidjia Horvatjh, the club officials have stated that they are making efforts so that she will continue to play for Rulmentul.


Mosley says F1 teams will not force him out


LONDON – Motor racing chief Max Mosley made clear on Tuesday he would not be forced out of office by teams and car manufacturers threatening to set up their own Formula One championship. In a combative letter to all member clubs, the International Automobile Federation (FIA) president indicated that he was minded instead to seek re-election as head of the governing body.


“Over recent weeks it has become increasingly clear that one of the objectives of the dissident teams is that I should resign,” Mosley said in the letter seen by Reuters. “However, in light of the attack on the mandate you have entrusted to me, I must now reflect on whether my original decision not to stand for re-election was indeed the right one,” he said.


The FIA’s 26-member world motor sport council, made up largely of national federations, is due to meet in Paris on Wednesday with Formula One’s threatened breakaway high on the agenda. Mosley, who survived repeated calls for his resignation last year after a sado-masochistic sex scandal, had said after a confidence vote in May 2008 that he would step down this October. “It is for the FIA membership, and the FIA membership alone, to decide on its democratically elected leadership, not the motor industry and still less the individuals the industry employs to run its Formula One teams,” he said on Tuesday.


Eight Formula One teams, including champions Ferrari, have said they are preparing to set up their own series after failing to resolve differences with the FIA on next year’s rules and a planned budget cap.

Related posts

Tennis: Troicki gives Serbia first Davis Cup title

Test

Spanish cyclist found dead

Test

Oltchim players’ salaries cut by half

Nine O' Clock

Leave a Comment

Social

NEWS IN BRIEF

19th swine flu case confirmed


The Health Ministry yesterday confirmed the 19th case of AH1N1 influenza in Romania, in a child who travelled to Romania from Canada, June 19. The child was admitted to the ‘Matei Bals’ Institute in Bucharest, is on anti-virals and reported in good condition, ministry officials said. Medical authorities opened an epidemiological investigation into tracking down contacts Aside from the child, two of the patients diagnosed with the disease in Romania are also hospitalised, one of them at the ‘Matei Bals’ Institute, and the other, at the ‘Victor Babes’ Hospital of Infectious Diseases. The other 16 patients have been released from hospital, as they were found to be virus-free after treatment with anti-viral medication.


EBA, the Euro-candidate with the widest media coverage


Elena Basescu was the Euro-candidate with the widest media coverage in the last two weeks of the electoral campaign, followed by the PDL candidate Monica Macovei, according to a study of the Media Monitoring Agency (AMP). Thus, according to the report “European elections 2009. Electoral speech in the electoral campaign,” launched yesterday in a debate organized at the EU House from Bucharest, Elena Basescu, considered the first candidate that launched a brand – EBA, was the most frequently monitored in the written media, registering 50 appearances. The second Euro-candidate visible in the media was Monica Macovei who registered only less than half of the number of EBA’s appearances, with only 21 appearances in the written media.

Related posts

Neagu Djuvara to be decorated by French state

Test

Ciocan: I’m going to quit my position as Bucharest Police spokesman

Test

Hundreds mourn at funeral of Romanian killed in Nice

Leave a Comment

Social

NEWS IN BRIEF

14 consular offices and diplomatic missions to be closed


The leading council of the Foreign Ministry (MAE) ruled to close down 14 consular offices and diplomatic mission from Africa, South America and the Far East, including the embassies from Ethiopia, Peru, Malaysia and the Cape Town general consulate. According to official sources quoted by Mediafax, the Council also decided a 20 pc cut in the personnel expenses of eight of the missions that have the highest budgets now. This is only a proposal and the final decision will be taken at the level of president and prime minister, the sources explained.


President to replace his Boeing with an Airbus


Traian Basescu will use a new Presidential airplane. Thus, one of Tarom’s two Airbus 310 aircraft will be taken over by the Romanian Aviation Company (ROMAVIA), the company that organizes the Romanian President’s official flights. The measure was taken in order to cover a part of the losses generated by the two aircraft, losses that surpass EUR 800,000 per month, sources from within the Minister of Transportation quoted by ‘Gandul’ daily say. According to the aforementioned sources, the state should have transformed the two Airbus 310 aircraft into VIP aircraft as early as six years ago. The President’s current Boeing 707 is more than 30 years old.


Journalist Sorin Rosca Stanescu sues Head of State


Journalist Sorin Rosca Stanescu sued Traian Basescu for saying in a show hosted by B1 TV that he asked the president to intervene in favour of stopping the criminal investigation against businessman Dinu Patriciu. According to the journalist, this was a slanderous statement.


“In fact, he said that four years ago I asked him, during a discussion on the phone, to intervene for stopping a criminal investigation against Dinu Patriciu. This is an untrue statement that brings me severe prejudice. I must point out that, four years ago, the same Mr. Traian Basescu, referring to the same phone talk, the last I had with him, made a different statement. He said that I threatened him. Invited in front of the Honorary Council of the Romanian Press Club, the head of state then admitted he has no evidence. Partly satisfied with the way things went on in the Romanian Press Club and with the reaction of the media, I renounced suing him. However, at that moment, I publicly announced that, if Mr. Traian Basescu will repeat his offence, I reserve the right to go in court,” Rosca Stanescu writes in a press release. The journalist wants Basescu to be sentenced to pay RON 1,000 as moral reparations and to “integrally” publish the sanctioning decision under the title “Legal Announcement,” on his expense, in six central dailies – Adevarul, Evenimentul Zilei, Jurnalul National, Ziua, Romania Libera, and Libertatea – with the same kind of letters used for the articles currently run by these newspapers. In addition, Sorin Rosca Stanescu wants Traian Basescu to be forced to pay the court expenses in the lawsuit.


PM’s adviser robbed


Unknown individuals have broken into the apartment of PM’s adviser Andreea Vass and stole a laptop, perfumes and a piece of jewellery. The Police have opened an official inquiry into the burglary. Bucharest Police spokesman Christian Ciocan told Mediafax on Tuesday that the total value of the missing items was RON 3,000. Ciocan said the Police were conducting investigations to identify the perpetrators and retrieve the stolen property.

Related posts

MAI: Pyrotehnic materials worth 100,000 lei, confiscated in New Year’s Celebrations miniholiday

Nine O' Clock

NEWS IN BRIEF

Test

ForMin Melescanu: Ukraine’s education law, is a very sensitive subject. Klimkin: This law is not directed against ethnic communities, nobody wants to close any school

Nine O' Clock

Leave a Comment

Social

NEWS IN BRIEF

Cristian Diaconescu met Vietnamese Foreign Minister


Foreign Minister Cristian Diaconescu met on Tuesday his Vietnamese counterpart, deputy premier Pham Gia Khiem, who pays an official visit to Bucharest. On the occasion, the two ministers approached aspects referring to bilateral relations and topics of common interest that are on the regional and international agenda, a particular attention being granted to the economic and financial crisis. According to a press release issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MAE), the two officials emphasized the increased interest for further developing the economic dimension of bilateral relations. During the meeting, the dignitaries signed the Accord of Economic Cooperation between the Government of Romania and the Government of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, as well as the Memorandum of Understanding on the cooperation between the two ministries of Foreign Affairs. Pham Gia Khiem is paying a visit to Romania, during June 23-25, in the context of the nearing anniversary of 60 years since the two countries established diplomatic relations.


Court slams Becali request to leave the Country


A panel from Bucharest’s District 1 Judge Hall ruled yesterday that businessman Gigi Becali, who was recently elected MEP on behalf of the Greater Romania Party, cannot leave Romania. The ruling is not final and can be appealed by the businessman. A similar request filed by Becali with the Bucharest City Court, this time to allow him to leave Bucharest and Ilfov County, was also rejected a week ago. Becali wants to leave to Strasbourg to be sworn in as a Euro-Deputy in the new European Parliament. The businessman was arrested earlier this year for allegedly kidnapping three people who had allegedly stolen his car. He was released from prison but banned from leaving the capital and the country. Earlier yesterday, Becali told the court that he had confidence judges would rule in his favour and allow him to leave the country. “I come here because I have to be here, I don’t know, but we’re making a mockery of this country, I am a Euro-Deputy now,” he said, adding that he has both the right and the obligation to go and take over his MEP seat. “I demand to be allowed to fulfill my obligations towards those who have elected me and wanted me to be part of the European Parliament. Other than that, I can only tell you that I’m having fun in court because this is a real circus,” Becali told magistrates.

Related posts

PM Grindeanu: Creating a powerful bond between Romanians in country and diaspora – Government’s priority

Nine O' Clock

Panait: 54 children were adopted by foreign citizens

Nine O' Clock

Iliescu probe in miners’ riot case, called off

Test

Leave a Comment

BUSINESS

NEWS IN BRIEF

AutoItalia Group wants to deliver 100 Infinity units


AutoItalia Group, the official importer of the luxury Japanese brand Infiniti, wants to deliver 100 units in the first year of activity, Mediafax informs. The company estimates that the car sale activity will represent 70 per cent of the turnover, and the remaining 30 per cent will be the service. “AutoItalia Group has 50 orders for the Infinity models and a stock of 20 units, the deliveries being already started. We expect to deliver 100 units until August 2010,” the manager of the Infiniti brand in Romania, Mircea Eremia, declared on Tuesday.


APIA: New car sales dropped 50 pc


The sales of new autos in Romania fell 41.3 per cent in May, to 13,336 units, and 49.2 per cent January through May, to 57,894 units, according to data by the Association of Romanian Automobile Producers and Importers (APIA), Mediafax informs. In May 2008, there were delivered 23,464 new car units, and during January-May of last year sales totalled 114,020 units. The overall Romanian automotive market (motor vehicles, commercial vehicles and buses) plunged 58.1 per cent in May, against the year-earlier figure, from 29,170 units to 15,123 units. During January-May, deliveries totalled 65,094 motor vehicles, down 53.4 per cent from the comparable interval last year, when sales came to 139,762 vehicles.


Credits without material guarantees for SMEs from GarantiBank


GarantiBank has a new range of products and services for the small and medium sized enterprises. The new range includes five types of products and services: SME credits, credits for liberal professions, packages of products for SMEs, POS credit line, and Garanti Online – internet banking, a press release informs. The main modifications to the range offered so far refer to the structure of the guarantees, the limit up to which the material guarantees are required, the level of the commissions, and the reimbursement plan. The practitioners of the liberal professions have now personalized funding solutions, having the possibility to access up to EUR 15,000 without material guarantees for a loan for the everyday activity and up to 90 per cent of the value of acquisition of the equipments or working spaces, in the case of a loan for investments.


Lafarge: Cement market may come back next year


The cement market tumbled by about 35 per cent in volume in Q1 2009 and the trend may stay until the end of the year, without ruling out a comeback with a growth arte of + 10 per cent in 2010, according to Lafarge Ciment Romania, Mediafax informs. Cement industry employers association CIROM data shows that local cement production was up six per cent from 10.06 M tons to 10.7 M tons last year. As a value, the market grew by 20 per cent from RON 2.73 bn to RON 3.28 bn.


Ministry of Tourism to pay RON 5.6 M for international TV promotion campaign


The two international TV channels that will broadcast Romania’s international tourist promotion campaign will be chosen by a tender to be held in July. The estimated value of the contract is RON 5.6 M (EUR 1.3 M), Mediafax informs. The contracts will be for TV advertising campaign services on the international market from July 15 through to December 31. The Ministry will select a pan-European sports TV channel and an international news broadcaster. The deadline for the submission of bids is July 6.


Coin issued to celebrate 650 years since foundation of Metropolitan Bishopric of Wallachia


Starting today, the Romanian National Bank has issued a silver coin, exclusively for numismatic purposes, dedicated to the anniversary of 650 years since the foundation of the Metropolitan Bishopric of Wallachia, a press release sent by the central bank announces. The observe of the coin presents the Romanian escutcheon and the portrait of the Wallachian prince Nicolae Alexandru on a matt stripe, and underneath, the issuing value of RON 10. The left side of the back presents the portrait of the first Metropolitan Bishop of Wallachia – Jacinth of Vicina. The coin was issued in 500 copies. The issuing of these silver coins, for numismatic purposes only, celebrates the 650th anniversary of the Metropolitan Bishopric of Wallachia.

Related posts

Orange TV receives CNA license

Nine O' Clock

Future of mobile networks presented by Ericsson in Romania

NINE O'CLOCK

Petrom earnings impacted by decline in industrial sectors

Test

Leave a Comment