ARTS & LEISURE

NEWS IN BRIEF

Tickets and subscriptions for Enescu Festival to be issued on Monday


The tickets and subscriptions for the International Festival and Competition “George Enescu,” scheduled during August 30 – September 26, may be purchased starting on Monday at the Bucharest Palace Hall box office. Approximately 70 per cent of the tickets available for the festival & contest were already booked since the beginning of the year.


‘Journey across the Universe’ at Sutu Palace


On the occasion of the International Astronomic Year, the “Admiral Vasile Urseanu” Astronomic Observatory will organize on Saturday, August 1, starting at 19.15, in the University Square, in the yard of the Sutu Palace (the Municipal Museum of Bucharest) an evening of astronomic observation. The attendants to the event may admire various celestial objects, using the Observatory’s greatest telescope. The astronomic observations will start at 21.30. Moreover, visitors will be offered an hourly digital planetarium presentation entitled “Journey across the Universe.” Similar events will take place on September 26, October 25 and November 29.


‘Antiquarians’ fair’, in Carol Park


The District 4 Mayoralty organizes from Friday to Sunday, a new edition of the Antiquarian’s fair in Carol Park. The event will be attended by over 100 antiquarians. During the fair, from 8.00 to 20.00, visitors can admire and purchase vintage furniture and clothes, coins, watches, books, etc. Moreover, there will be a parade of vintage automobiles.

Related posts

TM Stevens to perform in Bucharest on May 3

Test

Bucharest Interwar Ball, National Military Center, May 23

Nine O' Clock

168 years since the birth of the great national poet Mihai Eminescu. National Culture’s Day, celebrated across the country with cultural shows and events. Messages of Foreign Ambassadors to Bucharest dedicated to the National Culture Day

Nine O' Clock

Leave a Comment

Social

NEWS IN BRIEF

Two Israeli doctors held over human egg trafficking, freed by court


The Bucharest City Court on Wednesday rejected prosecutors’ request to issue preventive arrest warrants for Israeli doctors Natan Lewit and Genia Ziskind, who are reportedly involved in the human egg trafficking scandal at Bucharest’s Sabyc fertility clinic. The decision is not final and can be appealed. The two had been detained by prosecutors on Tuesday on charges of setting up an organized crime group and trafficking human cells in exchange for material benefits. The two doctors reported supported Sabyc clinic’s owner Harry Mironescu in his human egg trafficking activities. Mironescu, together with his son Yair Miron and another member of the clinic, Cecilia Borzea, are currently in custody.


Doctors cleared of six-month-old baby’s death


A commission at the Grigore Alexandrescu Children Hospital in Bucharest ruled on Wednesday that the hospital’s doctors are not guilty for the death of a six-month-old child who was brought in a coma on July 27 and died shortly after. The commission ruled that the doctors acted according to legislation and hospital rules when consulting the child. The baby had been brought to the hospital a couple of days before, where doctors prescribed him some medicine and sent him back home, as he was not in a serious condition and did not require hospitalization. Doctors also told parents that they should bring the child in if his condition gets worse. On July 27, the child was brought to the hospital in a coma and, in spite of doctors’ efforts, he could not be resuscitated.


Stanculescu released from ICU


Former General Victor Atanasie Stanculescu was released from the intensive care unit of Bucharest’s Military Hospital yesterday. The former General will remain in hospital where his condition will be closely monitored, the head of the hospital, Ioan Sarbu, said. Stanculescu was hospitalized two weeks ago, as he is suffering from several ailments. On Wednesday, his condition worsened and he was sent to the intensive care unit of the hospital. Stanculescu was sentenced to 15 years in prison for his role in the repression of the 1989 anti-communist revolution. In May, a court allowed him to interrupt his term in order to seek specialized medical assistance.

Related posts

Bear cub captured in Sibiu

Nine O' Clock

Romania – a decoy in the Al Kassar case, paper says

Test

Ketoconazole drugs removed from shelves

Nine O' Clock

Leave a Comment

Social

NEWS IN BRIEF

Seven new cases of AH1N1 infection


Seven people, including three children, from the Mures County are infected with the AH1N1 virus and the cases were confirmed by the Cantacuzino National Institute, Mediafax reports. The patients are committed to the Targu Mures Clinic of Infectious Diseases. “We have the confirmation of the infection with the AH1N1 virus for seven people. Epidemiologic investigations are under way for the two hotbeds,” the chief of the Mures Public Health Department (DSP), Florin Buicu announced. The fresh cases come from two new hotbeds. The first, with five cases – two adults and three children – was registered among the people who went in a trip in Geneva, Switzerland, on July 17-24. Following analyses, medics also confirmed the existence of the virus in the case of the driver’s colleague.


The total number of infection cases reported in Romania, two months after the disease got confirmed, thus reached 107.


Gunshots fired in downtown Brasov


Police officers with the Brigade for Fighting Organised Crime and Drug Trafficking fired several gunshots at some suspected drug traffickers downtown Brasov on Thursday.


When the police arrived at the scene, three persons trying to sell drugs fled, with the law enforcement officers firing several firearm shots in an attempt to stop them. The three however managed to get into a car, which they abandoned at the back of a store a short while later, running towards the Tampa Mountain.


One of the suspects was caught shortly afterwards. According to the police, the man, suspected of trafficking hashish, was caught on the mountain. Scores of gendarmes and police, assisted by a dog, carried on the hunt for the other two men who took shelter into the woods.


Woman arrested for trying to sell her baby for RON 900


A woman from Ilfov County received RON 900 for her newborn child from an organized group specialising in trafficking in human beings. Three people including the woman from Ilfov have been arrested on suspicion of selling several children, according to Antena 3 TV.


The Organised Crime Brigade officers have raided a number of addresses in the village of Sintesti, Ilfov County, for house searches. They had a lead that a local woman had sold her three-month-old baby for RON 900 to a man from a nearby village. The deal was facilitated by a woman who allegedly received money for her effort. The Bucharest Tribunal remanded the mother, the buyer and the ‘broker’ in custody where they will be awaiting trial.


Cernavoda bridge toll charged as of Monday


The National Roads and Motorways Company is introducing a toll for driving on the Fetesti-Cernavoda bridge across the Danube on Monday, August 3, the amount varying with the type of vehicle, the company informs.


The toll will be RON 7 for a motorbike, RON 10 for passenger vehicles (including off-road vehicles, RON 35 for vehicles with a maximum total weight of 12 tons, RON 47 for buses and coaches, and RON 68 for vehicles with a maximum total weight of over 12 tons. The rates established by an order signed on February 28, 2008, will apply to vehicles registered in Romania and in other countries every time they go on the bridge, in either way.

Related posts

Two seriously ill children have been administered Viagra in Iasi hospital

Nine O' Clock

PM Grindeanu pays working visits to several ministries. “At the end of March we’ll have to go through the to-dos checklist for the first quarter”

Nine O' Clock

President Iohannis: PSD rule has failed regarding prevention, ignores real healthcare issues

NINE O'CLOCK

Leave a Comment

Social

NEWS IN BRIEF

CFR Cluj boss, Arpad Paszkany, sent to court


The prosecutors of the Division on the investigation of organized crime and terrorism (DIICOT) – Cluj Territorial Office, decided yesterday to initiate the criminal action against Arpad Zoltan Paszkany and send him to court. Businessman and owner of the football club CFR Cluj (champion of Romania in 2008, double winner of Romania Cup in 2008 and 2009, and recently of the Super Cup of Romania), Arpad Paszkany is charged with supporting financially a criminal group, headed by Liviu Aurel Man, in 2004-2006, financing in various ways the publications which belonged to ‘Gazeta’ trust which edited ten publications in the counties of Cluj, Bistrita Nasaud, Maramures, Bihor, Sibiu and Mures) being aware of the membership of the group and of the method of operation. He is also accused of having used Man’s publications for his own interest or the interest of his companies, orchestrating the blackmail exerted by the members of the group, in order to determined the competitive companies to make or not certain activities, to not participate to auctions or to conclude contracts with the purpose to obtain material benefits for illegal purposes. Moreover, in January-November 2006, Paszkany determined a disparaging campaign, through the publications of Gazeta trust, against Iulian Dascalu, representative of Iulius Group Iasi, whom he obliged, through threats to concede to him, for the ridiculous sum of EUR 10,000, a land of 13,974 sq m within the city of Cluj-Napoca, whose circulation value was EUR 400,000, the prosecutors say.


Sergiu Andon accused he was the instrument of Securitate


Engineer Stefan Penciu, the country “traitor” from Sergiu Andon’s file, declared for “Ziua” that he wants his case cleared and will contest the certificate of non-collaboration received by the PC Deputy from CNSAS. He states that Andon should have gone to court, because through his actions he prejudiced him materially and morally. Penciu believed that the Conservative MP worked under cover for Securitate, pretending to be “a great patriot while he called the innocent people country traitors.” “I don’t know if he really was an officer, but he worked under cover. He pretended to be a great patriot, and he called the innocent people country traitors,” the engineer emphasizes. “It is a shame that CNSAS gave him a certificate of non-collaboration. How did he know about the action that took place in Germany? Sergiu Andon wrote urged by Securitate. And he acknowledges it,” he continues. Stefan Penciu also said that his greatest wish is to see how Sergiu Andon will demonstrate that he is a country traitor.

Related posts

SocDems electoral programme’s health chapter includes building one national, eight regional hospitals

Nine O' Clock

Woman disfigured by loan sharks

Test

Third victim of car crash caused by Serban Huidu has died

Nine O' Clock

Leave a Comment

BUSINESS

NEWS IN BRIEF

Renault at a loss, Dacia sales double in Europe


Dacia sales increased in H1 2009 by 20.3 per cent, to 153,826 vehicles, compared to 127,842 vehicles in the same period of 2008, shows a Renault press release taken over by Agerpres. At the same time, Dacia increased its market share in Europe by 2.5 per cent in the first half of the year, on a market which decreased 53.7 per cent. On certain markets, Dacia registered very good financial results, thanks to the growth of the sales of Sandero model. In Europe, Dacia sales increased in the first half of the year by 95.8 per cent, to 101,810 vehicles, compared to 52,005 vehicles in the same period of 2008, Logan sales registering in Germany a growth of 83.1 per cent. However, Renault registered in the first half of the year a net loss of EUR 2.71 bln, because of the economic crisis which conducted to the free fall of the car sales in the whole world.


Treichl: Erste not to lay off Romanians in next six months


BCR majority shareholder Erste is not planning any lay-offs or closing down branches in Romania, but, on the contrary, intends to expand the bank’s country network by 50 new units this year, group CEO Andreas Treichl stated yesterday, Mediafax informs. Treichl noted that the bank would continue to open new branches.The BCR Group reported a profit after tax and minority interests of RON 606.8 M (EUR 144.2 M), 20.1 per cent smaller than in the similar period of 2008, primarily because of higher expenses with loan loss provisions and smaller revenue from commissions generated by falling consumption.


Orange: Over EUR 500 M in revenues


Orange Romania mobile telephony operator at the end of the first six months of 2009 had over 10.354 million users, more by 2.6 per cent compared to the first six months of last year, the company’s revenue exceeding half a billion euro, according to data reported by the company yesterday, Agerpres informs. Compared to Q1 2009, the number of Orange users increased by over 236,000. More than 2.2 million of the total number of Orange Romania customers also use mobile broadband data services, bringing the operator a 97 per cent growth compared to the similar period of 2008. Orange revenue in the first half of the year exceeded half a billion euro, of which EUR 267 M in Q2. The annual per user revenue averaged EUR 108.

Related posts

Telecom authority: 623 million mailings in 2014

Nine O' Clock

Basescu: Energy market puzle must be solved

Nine O' Clock

BRD lends EUR 26 M for Carrefour and NEPI’s development of Ploiesti Shopping City

Nine O' Clock

Leave a Comment