2.1 C
Bucharest
March 6, 2021
Social

Good leading jobs for Basescu’s media supporters, report says

Several leading journalists and important people in the media who sided with President Traian Basescu and overtly supported him in the race for a second term might be rewarded with important governmental jobs in the field, according to a report by daily ‘Gardianul’ yesterday.


One of the top posts that might be granted to a Basescu supporter is the leadership of the public radio. Sources quoted by the newspaper said three journalists are currently considered for the position: Carol Sebastian, Andreea Pora and Catalin Avramescu, all of them strong backers of the current president. One of them will be chosen to replace the current radio head, Maria Toghina, whose term ends at the end of the year. Toghina, named on the post by the National Liberal Party while it was in the government, said in an interview to Mediafax yesterday that regardless of who will succeed her on the job, she would want the projects she began to be continued “in good faith.” During her term, the radio has been a profitable institution, in spite of the economic crisis, she said. Toghina also gave details about future projects of the public radio and said her institution was never involved in election campaign issues and was never subjected to political pressure in her term.


‘Gardianul’ reported the Avramescu, who served as an adviser to the president, and Pora are the frontrunners for the position. Sebastian resigned as editor in chief of daily ‘Cotidianul’ in 2007, after it was revealed he had been a collaborator of the communist secret police, under the code name “Max”. Sebastian was also involved in Basescu’s election campaign and was rumoured to be named personal adviser to PM Emil Boc at the beginning of the year, the newspaper said.


Another leading journalist known for her pro-Basescu views, Rodica Culcer, might get back a top post in the public television, following her dismissal as head of the news department last year. Culcer, who says that “she does not write pleads for President Basescu, but criticism against some of his rivals, on principle reasons,” had been named head of the public television’s news department in the summer of 2005. In October last year, the current head of the public television, Alexandru Sassu, backed by the opposition Social Democrats, sacked Culcer from the position after she decided to broadcast images that allegedly showed then Agriculture Minister Decebal Traian Remes (a Liberal), getting bribes. Following her dismissal, she sued the television channel and partly won the trial. Now that Basescu won a second term in office and with the Boc government likely to win MPs’ vote of confidence, Culcer will probably be reappointed head of the news department. Other top journalists that supported Basescu more or less openly, some of them even joining the ranks of his Democrat Liberal Party, include Traian Razvan Ungureanu (whose collaboration with ‘Cotidianul’ ended after he accepted to run for the European Parliament on PDL’s lists), Sever Voinescu (who became a PDL member last year and is currently a senator for the party, he was also spokesman for Basescu’s campaign), Narcisa Iorga (she gave up her media career to become PDL’s communication director in 2005, was named member of the National Broadcasting Authority at President Basescu’s proposal) and others.

Related posts

Three Romanians, arrested in “theft of the century”

Nine O' Clock

PM Orban: Dragomiresti-based special products plant to produce 70,000-75,000 FFP3 masks a day

NINE O'CLOCK

Five persons die in western Timis County due to bad weather

Nine O' Clock