The famous Bucovina monastery of Voronet is older than it was initially estimated, recent archaeological discoveries proved. A team conducting research in the area has discovered that an original sanctuary and monk endowments existed on the grounds around 1400- 1410, instead of 1488, the year Stefan cel Mare was credited as the original aedile. Researchers say that one of the place’s vaults turned out to have been built in the beginning of 15th century, from the times of Alexandru cel Bun. A fire put up by the Turks around 1475 apparently destroyed the monastery and later, the old church on the grounds was destroyed by another fire in 1485. Archaeologists say the new church and all the monastic rooms and fixtures were rebuilt between May and September 1488 on Stefan cel Mare’s orders, who actually only reshaped and remade an already existing structure.