Former President Ion Iliescu accused by revolutionary of trying to save the dictatorial couple from being executed.
The remains of former communist dictator Nicolae Ceausescu and his wife Elena Ceausescu were re-interred “in absolute secrecy” at Bucharest’s Ghencea Cemetery, tabloid ‘Libertatea’ reported. The newspaper said the family chose another location in the cemetery for the dictatorial couple’s remains and that the media was kept away from the new tomb by a security company hired specifically for this purpose, according to the publication. The couple was laid to rest close to the tomb of their son, Nicu Ceausescu.
Ceausescus’ remains were disinterred on July 21 this year, at the request of one of their son, Valentin Ceausescu, as there were suspicions that it was not them who had been buried there.
DNA tests however confirmed that the disinterred bodies were those of Nicolae and Elena Ceausescu.
The dictatorial couple was tried by a makeshift military panel after the 1989 anti-communist revolution and were sentenced to death. The verdict was passed on December 25 and the two were executed on the same day.
Meanwhile, December 21 Association of revolutionaries yesterday made public a decree signed by former President Ion Iliescu, which ordered the cancellation of the death sentence against the Ceausescu.
In a press conference, the head of the association, Teodor Maries, read the decree, saying it had been signed by Iliescu, declared interim president after the revolution, on December 25, according to Mediafax. Maries said the decree was obtained by the association in collaboration with journalists from a website specialising in legal news reports. He added that the decree, which commuted the military court’s death sentence to life imprisonment, will be posted on that website.
The document reportedly shows that Iliescu ordered the cancellation of the death sentence because Ceausescu gave a clear order to the secret police, the Securitate, to stop bloodshed during the revolution. But the military court’s ruling of December 25, 1989, specified the exact opposite: that Ceausescu was the one who ordered security forces to fire at demonstrators. Maries did not reveal the sources of the document, saying only that it was an “extremely reliable one.” The revolutionary added that the document reveals “Iliescu’s duplicity.” “It is obvious he was trying to protect himself in case Ceausescu had escaped execution,” Maries added. Iliescu could not be contacted to comment on Maries’s accusations, Mediafax agency said.
The former president was yesterday in Craiova, attending a symposium on “The role of revolutions in Romanian society over the years. Leading personalities of revolutions.” He told the audience that it’s both stupid and naïve to think that the 1989 revolution was staged by espionage services, but admitted that these services took part in the events because “this is what they do.”
“For 20 years we have faced attempts to seed confusion around this matter: what happened in December 1989, was it a revolution or a coup? I understand some of them. They don’t have the necessary culture – political or historical culture, to understand these events,” he said, quoted by Mediafax.