13.6 C
Bucharest
March 3, 2021
WORLD

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange makes new bail bid

London – The founder of whistle-blowing website WikiLeaks was due to appear in court in London in a fresh attempt to secure bail, BBC news said. Julian Assange, 39, denies sexually assaulting two women in Sweden and is fighting extradition.


Assange was refused bail last week despite the offer of sureties from figures including film director Ken Loach and journalist John Pilger. A number of protesters gathered outside the court ahead of the hearing. They have been joined outside City of Westminster Magistrates’ Court by a large crowd of reporters and a number of Assange’s high-profile supporters.


Earlier, Christine Assange told Australian television station Channel 7 that she had spoken to her son in prison. “I told him how people all over the world, in all sorts of countries, were standing up with placards and screaming out for his freedom and justice and he was very heartened by that,” she said. Assange claims the charges are politically motivated and are designed to discredit him.


In recent weeks, WikiLeaks has published a series of US diplomatic cables revealing secret information on topics such as terrorism and international relations. The latest release, published by the Guardian newspaper, shows that the US had concerns after the 7 July bombings that the UK was not doing enough to tackle home-grown extremists.

Related posts

Typhoon Soulik soaks Taiwan, hits mainland China

Nine O' Clock

German parties agree on Joachim Gauck as new president

Nine O' Clock

Iran celebrates Rouhani’s presidential win

Nine O' Clock