1.2 C
Bucharest
January 18, 2022
Social

Kovesi: Prosecutor who initially dealt with Tundrea case not under investigation for the time being

The General Prosecutor of Romania, Laura Codruta Kovesi, said yesterday, in Timisoara, that, for the time being, the prosecutor’s investigations into the Tundrea case was going only against the true author of the murder and not the prosecutor who originally dealt with the case. Several people were interviewed by the Prosecutors of the Gorj Tribunal on Monday in the murder case for which Marcel Tundrea served 12 years in prison.


Prosecutor Marius Iacob, the head of the Criminal Pursuit Department of the High Court Prosecutor’s Office, said a new criminal case had been opened after Marcel Tundrea was found innocent. ‘Based on the previously administered evidence and scientific proof gathered, we have determined beyond doubt that the perpetrator was another person. We are interviewing epople and himself (the alleged offender – our note), if he wants to say somehing, because he has the right to remain silent. He has been invited to Bucharest for questioning but he refused to come’, Iacob noted. Marcel Tundrea was convicted and sentenced to 25 years in prison for rape and murder, but, in 2004, a DNA test cleared him. The man had alraedy served 12 years of his sentence and in January 2007 died because of health issues he ahd developed while in detention.

Related posts

President Iohannis: Religious freedom and tolerance are fundamental pillars of humanity

Nine O' Clock

Government to lift some COVID-19 pandemic restrictions from August 1

NINE O'CLOCK

Wikileaks: Bogdan Olteanu portrayed as anti-American in a 2007 cable

Test