A fire broke out yesterday morning at a guest house in Drobeta Turnu Severin and it could only be put out after several hours, by the fire fighters. The latter evacuated the staff of the restaurant on the building’s ground floor, as well as several tourists who were lodged in the rooms on the first floor, and no one was injured. At the same time, the police stopped traffic on Carol Blvd, in the Mehedinti Court area, as the street is narrow and the fire vehicles could barely reach the scene. According to preliminary evaluations, the fire started from a hood in the kitchen in the building’s basement, which was not ventilated accordingly, when the grease accumulated in the ventilation shaft took fire. More than three hours after the fire started, the Mehedinti Emergency Inspectorate (ISU) fire fighters, who also called in help from the private team at Romag Termo, the tire company and the Drobeta Turnu Severin water and sewerage company, managed to contain the fire. The fire destroyed the building’s roof and attic. Representatives of the guest house stated the building is insured for EUR 250,000, but this amount would not cover damages caused by the fire.