The gunman who killed six people in the Netherlands before taking his own life had previously been investigated over illegal weapons, the BBC informs. A Dutch prosecutor said on Sunday Tristan van der Vlis, 24, had faced an inquiry in 2003 but had not been convicted. He went on a shooting rampage with an automatic weapon on Saturday at a shopping centre in Alphen aan den Rijn. Officials said he had permits for five weapons. It is not clear if one of them was used in the shootings. Dutch law bans possession of automatic weapons.
Van der Vlis entered the Ridderhof shopping centre around midday and opened fire. He was described as wearing a bomber jacket and camouflage trousers. Then the noises got closer and two people fell to the ground very close to me”. He killed five people before shooting himself fatally in the head. One of the four critically injured later died. At least seven other people were also injured. Children were among the casualties, but officials say they are not prepared to say whether they were among the dead or the injured due to privacy reasons.