2.1 C
Bucharest
December 6, 2021
WORLD

Libya: Rebels snub ceasefire while dictator’s still in power

Alain Juppe says NATO is ‘not doing enough.’

TRIPOLI – Rebel leaders last night rejected a ceasefire proposal from African mediators, saying the terms did not include their demand for Col Gaddafi to relinquish power after four decades as Libya’s leader, The Scotsman reports. The head of the rebels’ Transitional National Council, former Libyan Justice Minister Mustafa Abdel-Jalil, said the initiative “did not respond to the aspirations of the Libyan people”.
“The initiative that was presented today, its time has passed” said Mr Abdel-Jalil. “We will not negotiate on the blood of our martyrs.”
Italian foreign minister Franco Frattini supported that position. “The sons and the family of Gaddafi cannot participate in the political future of Libya,” he said.

On the other hand, France’s foreign minister Alain Juppe said NATO is not doing enough to destroy heavy weaponry used by Muammar Gaddafi’s forces in Libya, BBC informs. Libyan civilians remain at risk, Alain Juppe said, despite an ongoing bombing campaign now led by NATO. “NATO must play its role fully. It wanted to take the lead in operations,” Mr Juppe said, saying efforts so far were “not enough”.

Related posts

French and Malian troops enter Diabaly

Nine O' Clock

Mark Taplin in Bucharest on future US Ambassador to Romania:“We will not break the pattern in our diplomatic relations to have a career ambassador rather than a political nominee”

UN climate summit pledges USD 2.3 billion for at-risk nations

Nine O' Clock