A 7-year-old girl died on Saturday afternoon after she was sucked in the pool drain of a public swimming pool in Oradea. According to medical sources, the girl was in a swimming pool when she was sucked in underwater. Dr. Adriana Balan, head of the Emergency Mobile Service for Resuscitation and Extrication (SMURD) crew that responded, stated that the girl was found in cardiac arrest. “We found her in cardiac arrest, we tried to resuscitate her and urgently took her to hospital but she died there,” the SMURD doctor stated.
According to Dr. Hadrian Borcea, head of the County Hospital’s emergency ward, this is not the first case in Oradea and Baile Felix. “From what I can recall this is the third case of pool drain accident in the last five years. Traumas in this type of cases are very severe. Basically the girl died not because she drowned, but most likely because of the traumas she suffered. The suction power is tremendous,” the doctor pointed out.
Florin Alexandru, spokesperson of the Autonomous Administration for Markets, Recreation and Sanitation (RAPAS) that owns the public swimming pool, stated for Mediafax that several persons were still in the pool at the time of the accident although they had been notified the pool was about to be drained and the girl was unattended. According to him, the pool drain was not covered by a grate. Bihor County Police has started an investigation and has notified the prosecutors.