The exhibition “Rudolf Schweitzer-Cumpana: 125 Years since Birth”, which includes over 120 paintings, from the artist’s early years to the latter stage of his creation, opens tomorrow evening at Bucharest’s Cotroceni National Museum, a press release informs. The exhibition, which is running between June 23 and August 31, in the museum’s Medieval Halls, is organized by the Cotroceni National Museum, in partnership with the Romanian Art Collectors’ Society and in collaboration with the Arges County Museum – the “Rudolf Schweitzer-Cumpana” Art Gallery in Pitesti, the Galati Visual Art Museum, the National Museum of Art of Romania, the Museum of the City of Bucharest, the Brukenthal National Museum in Sibiu, the “Moldova” National Museum Complex – the Art Museum in Iasi.
On the same occasion, a colour catalogue was edited, which can be purchased from the museum shop. The exhibition is part of the “Cotroceni XX” project, marking 20 years during which the Cotroceni National Museum has been a reference point of the cultural map of Bucharest, a project which included manifestations dedicated to two other classical figures of Romanian painting: Theodor Aman and Iosif Iser. In fact, the anniversary of 125 years since the birth of the painter Rudolf Schweitzer-Cumpana is also included in the UNESCO calendar of celebrations for this year. The artist Rudolf Schweitzer-Cumpana was born in Pitesti, on May 7, 1886, in a family of German origin. In 1904, the young man went to Berlin, where he attended the Royal Academy of Fine Arts, whence he graduated in 1909. He studied painting with the likes of Adolf Schlabitz, Erich Hanche and Arthur Kampf, and, during this time, he got closely acquainted with German expressionism, as well as getting in touch with impressionism and the Secession movement.
In 1911 he had his first exhibition, at the Official Salon, followed by the “Tinerimea Artistica” Society (1912) and the Romanian Athenaeum (1920), starting out with collective exhibitions and subsequently featured in individual exhibitions at the Dalles Foundation, the Art Institute, the “Ileana” Hall, as well as across the country, in Ploiesti (1924), Craiova (1926, 1971), Timisoara (1929), Braila (1928), Pitesti (1960), Sinaia (19608), Ramnicu-Sarat (1969), Buzau (1970).
In 1929, the painter embarked on a study trip to Budapest and a work trip to Constantinople, Athens, Thessaloniki, and, between 1931 and 1932, he travelled to Paris, where he had an exhibition at the “Jeanne Castel” Gallery. In 1939, he travelled and worked assiduously in Italy (Venice, Milan, Florence, Rome, Naples, San Remo), as well as Germany (Munich and Augsburg). 1951 saw him appointed professor at the “Nicolae Grigorescu” Institute of Fine Arts and becoming a member of the Visual Artists’ Union, in the painting section. On his 70th birthday, the National Museum of Art organized, in February 1957, at the Dalles Hall, a retrospective exhibition, bringing together 278 of his paintings and 159 works of graphic art. In 1957, he undertook a research trip to Yugoslavia and he was awarded the title of Master Emeritus of Art. He died in Bucharest, on February 17, 1975, aged 89.