Rudel Obreja, president of the Romanian Boxing Association, was upset over comments by Octavian Morariu, president of the Romanian Olympic Committee, on the “Champion for Romania” gala and the amount of money allocated to the event, Realitatea.net reports.
Last week, Octavian Morariu announced he would ask the Romanian state to pay EUR 5 M for the Romanian sportspeople to participate in the London 2012 Olympic Games, an amount similar to that the Ministry of Development and state companies will give for the Lucian Bute gala.
“I have been upset about the accusations made against me. As a result, Michael Buffer will be the only guest at the gala. I have stopped discussing with Don King over his attending the fight. I noticed that whenever I tried to do something good for this country everybody is up in arms, so that I won’t do anything anymore. It’s sure some people would have had something to comment on,” Obreja told sport.ro.
He also said Bute’s training for his bout against Jean-Paul Mendy goes as planned. “Lucian Bute will be rough and ready on fight date. Jean-Paul Mendy is a ‘dirty’ fighter, even if many believe he is but a second-class boxer. I talked to a friend in France who told me he is training quite hard. He has a dangerous left,” Rudel Obreja added.
The Lucian Bute – Jean Pul-Mendy fight is the main event of the “Champion for Romania” gala at Romexpo, July 9. It will be the eighth consecutive time the Romanian defends the IBF super middleweight title.