28.8 C
September 16, 2021

12-year-old girl found in chains in Constanta

A 12-year-old girl from a family of Turkish gypsies spent several days in chains after her parents sold her to a family in Valu lui Traian, with a view to marriage. The girl was released yesterday and taken into the custody of the police and Child Protection Authority representatives. The Prosecutor’s Office started yesterday the criminal pursuit against the girl’s mother and her future father-in-law and asked for their arrest. According to representatives of the Constanta County Police, quoted by Mediafax, the case was reported by a 112 caller, and the police officers in Valu lui Traian who went to the home found the girl tied up to the bed post with a chain. The police say the girl had been sold into marriage, a common practice in the Roma community, and was tied to the bed because she had attempted to run away. However, the investigation is aggravated by the fact the girl doesn’t know Romanian and she has no birth certificate either.

According to the “Adevarul” website, the girl is called Constanta S. and is living in an old camp in Valea Seaca. She was sold last December to another family, who had an underage boy, with a view to marriage. The young girl ran away on repeated occasions. The girl’s uncle, Chemal Regep, stated her mother, Adige Selim, went to Constanta regularly to collect plastic bottles which she then sold and that, on her last visit there, had taken the girl to her sister’s house in Valu lui Traian, where she was tied up to a bed. The child had been beaten and had a black eye.

The girl was taken to the legal medicine authority for an examination. She is to be checked into a specialized centre, as soon as possible, and, if found guilty, the mother would be deferred to justice and would be divested of her parental rights.

The spokesperson for the Constanta Social Assistance and Child Protection Authority, Roxana Onea, stated the child had been sold to be married to a 12-year-old boy, who called 112. “It was the 12-year-old boy who called 112 and reported the case to the police because he didn’t want the girl,” Onea stated.

Related posts

Dozens of SANITAS unionized workers participate in “Exhaustion March” in front of Gov’t building


Aerodrome commander dies in plane crash


MAE: Embassy in Spain temporarily suspends activity, after two persons test positive for COVID-19