A 57-year-old man from Codlea, Brasov County, died at the County Emergency Hospital yesterday morning after he was first taken to the Codlea Hospital, which was closed on Wednesday evening, according to Mediafax. The patient was taken by his family to the Codlea Municipal Hospital at about 9:30 pm on Wednesday, but the hospital had been closed at 8 pm. The man’s relatives called an ambulance, which arrived from Brasov about half an hour later. Since the patient had gone into cardiac arrest, the ambulance crew tried to resuscitate him for 30 minutes, in front of the closed hospital. He was eventually stabilised and taken to the County Emergency Hospital, but his condition got worse in the morning and he died.
The Codlea Hospital offers ER services only between 8 am and 8 pm after the unit was ordered closed down under a government decision on April 1. Earlier this month, the Brasov Court of Appeals annulled the government decision and ordered that the hospital be reopened, but this has not yet happened.
Asked to comment on the incident, former minister of health Cseke Attila, who began a wider restructuring project under which several medical units were closed or merged with others, said the main problem is that people do not yet know to call emergency number 112 when they need urgent medical assistance. In this particular case, the man’s relatives decided to take him to the hospital themselves and called 112 only after they got to the medical unit and found it closed, Cseke said.