Marking the Capital’s 552nd birthday, the National History Museum of Romania tempts visitors with a special exhibition, running for four months, hosting a number of rare objects. The objects in question are four automobiles dating from the late 19th and early 20th century, brought in from several museums across the country: the “Dimitrie Leonida” National Technical Museum, the History Museum in Galati and the General Museum in Tecuci.
The “oldest” exhibit is a De Dion Bouton automobile, dating from 1898, part of the Galati History Museum collection. The automobile is derived from the tri-cycle launched in 1894, having an uncovered body made of ash-wood. Another special exhibit is the 1901 Oldsmobile Curved Dash automobile (the National Technical Museum collection), which could reach a 30 km/h-speed.
The most history-laden exhibit is the FN Herstal model, produced by the weapon factory of the same name from Liege (Belgium), the first automobile registered in Bucharest. The car belonged to George Bazil Assan, engineer and explorer, the first Romanian who made it to the Arctic regions and travelled around the world. A true jewel on wheels is the EGO automobile, produced in Germany in 1924 (the Tecuci General Museum collection), which seems to be the world’s last extant car of its kind!
The exhibition is running until the end of the year and can be visited Wednesday to Sunday. Visiting hours are 10am to 6pm, until the last Saturday of October, as of which, due to the switch to winter time, the new visiting hours are 9am to 5pm.