TEHRAN – Iran is willing to look at evidence that an Iranian man plotted to kill Saudi Arabia’s ambassador to the United States, the country’s foreign minister said Monday, even as he denied the allegations had “the necessary basis in fact,” CNN reported. “We are prepared to consider any issue, even if it is falsely created, with patience. We have asked the Unites States to provide us with the relevant information regarding this scenario,” Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi told the Islamic Republic News Agency. The U.S. State Department said last week there had been direct contact with Iran about the alleged plot, but a senior Iranian official denied it. Two State Department officials said U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice met with Mohammad Khazaee, Iran’s permanent representative to the United Nations. But the Iranian mission in New York denied it.
Foreign Minister Salehi said Monday the American allegations of a plot were aimed at creating discord between states in the region.