5.4 C
Bucharest
December 1, 2021
Social

‘Jean Monnet’ school directorship dismissed, school under one-year monitorship

The directorship at the “Jean Monnet” secondary school have been dismissed  following serious wrongdoing found by the Control Body of the Ministry of Education, Research, Youth and Sports (MECTS), and the School Inspectorate of the Bucharest Municipality will monitor the school for a period of one year, Education Minister Daniel Funeriu told Mediafax.

The MECTS Control Body began on November 21 an inquiry into the case at the “Jean Monnet” secondary school, one of the best known in the Capital, to see whether the incident surrounding rape accusations against the sports teacher was merely an isolated case or the school regulation encouraged such thing to happen. The student concerned, accompanied by her parents, went to Police to lodge a complaint accusing sports teacher Dan-Octavian Visan, of having raped her during a trip to Predeal. The teacher was remanded in custody on charges of sexual intercourse with an underage girl.

“The Control Body concluded that the unnatural relation between the teacher and the student, no matter how emancipated the environment at the “Jean Monnet” school, was also the result of severe dysfunctions at the level of the school directorship and the handling of the parent-school relationship. It’s obvious that school directorship failing to do its duty results in grave consequences,” Minister Funeriu explained yesterday. “That the school’s students include some with a good material condition does not warrant the school a special status. The law is the same for everybody and the Ministry’s pledge to discipline, order and strictness is the strongest possible,” the minister also said.

The Control Body report shows many irregularities, starting with the records of the sessions of the Board of Administrators, where the decision-makers are different from the attendees, student transfer approvals on the basis of random decisions, lack of projects aimed at cracking down on violence in school, or management of crisis situations. Also, the conclusions in the report show the lack of a commission or strategy to reduce the dropout and absenteeism rate, considering the high number of unjustified absences, with no plan in place to reduce it.

The school’s name was related to other scandals too, with two pupils accused last week of stealing a mobile phone and a camera from two students in a Bucharest club. Another school pupil posed for the “Playboy” magazine alongside Constanta Mayor Radu Mazare and two more nude young ladies. The Teachers’ Council decided to propose the pupil concerned being sanctioned for repeated and unjustified absences from classes, but also for her attending various television programmes without the school directorship’s permission.

Related posts

IntMin Dan, Turkey’s Ambassador Fusun Aramaz discuss combating organised crime

NINE O'CLOCK

Romanian language, culture and civilisation classes – among topics tackled by Minister Intotero in Italy

Nine O' Clock

Anti-Organized Crime officers detained

Test