The move followed the dismissal of the school’s management.
Dozens of students of Bucharest’s high-end Jean Monnet High School staged a spontaneous protest in front of the institution yesterday, challenging the Education Ministry’s decision to dismiss the school’s management, according to Mediafax. The students said they no longer want the high school’s image to be associated with recent scandals involving some of its students and insisted that there are actually a lot of students who are highly proficient and have obtained good results in various competitions
The students yelled slogans such as “We want justice,” “We love our high school,” and “We don’t want resignations.” According to daily ‘Evenimentul Zilei,’ the students have also created a Facebook page rallying against the dismissal of the school’s management. Some teachers also attended yesterday’s protest and told journalists that recently, both teachers and students were badly affected by the scandals surrounding the unit. In their opinion, it is not fair that all the 1,400 students of the high school be affected by what a couple of students did wrong.
Moreover, one of the teachers said the media should also present the good results obtained by this education unit, underlining that the high school’s “real face” is given by the students who get high grades and obtain good results in national and international contests.
The high school’s reputation and image have been affected by a string of recent scandals involving its students. One girl student accused her sports teacher of rape, but the latest evidence suggests that the two had consensual sex. The teacher is currently in custody, being probed for statutory rape. Another girl student posed naked for a Playboy cover, together with two other girls. And two other students were accused of stealing a mobile phone and a camera from two girls in a nightclub last week.
The Education Ministry’s Control Body subsequently conducted an investigation at the high school and found ‘severe irregularities,’ such as the lack of a strategy to prevent drop-out cases and non-attendance, irregular student transfers, incomplete records and others. The Control Body also found that students at this high school have a very high number of unmotivated absences. Minister Daniel Funeriu thus decided to dismiss the entire management of the unit. Moreover, Funeriu said on Sunday that the high school will remain under monitoring of the Bucharest School Inspectorate for a year.