Italian authorities did not inform the Romanian diplomatic missions of Italy about the case of the Romanian citizen arrested at Lecce and then transferred to the hospital of Lecce, after he went on hunger strike. Foreign Minister Andrei Marga instructed Romanian diplomats to demand explanations to the Italian ministries of Foreign Affairs, and Justice. In a press release quoted by Mediafax, the minister explains that the Lecce prison hospital announced on May 14 the death of a Romanian detainee that had been transferred there on May 10. According to the source, the diplomatic and consular representative offices of Romania in Italy already asked Italian authorities to provide supplementary data. According to MAE, Romanian diplomats so far know nothing about an eventual letter sent by the detainee to the Embassy or the consular offices in Italy, but verifications are under way.Minister Andrei Marga said Monday, in Brussels, at the conclusion of a CAE meeting, that he regrets the event. “(…) We regret very much this event. Until now, the data show that Italian authorities did not report it anywhere: to a consulate, the embassy or a decision maker in Romania regarding his arrest. We will monitor the whole situation and will announce all the news as soon as we receive them,” Marga said.A Romanian citizen detained in Lecce, southern Italy, died Monday after 50 days of hunger strike, police sources announced, quoted by the ANS agency. The 39 year old man originating from Bucharest was found guilty of several crimes, although he always claimed his innocence. According to the Adnkronos agency, the man went on hunger strike in prison, to protest over his situation and the nonobservance of his rights. Italian authorities opened a probe into the incident, to find the circumstances of the demise.