WORLD

UN Security Council blames Syria for Houla massacre

The United Nations Security Council Sunday unanimously condemned the Syrian government for last week’s brutal massacre of at least 108 people, including many children, in Houla, even as Damascus denied its armed forces were responsible, the Voice of America reports. The 15-nation council said Sunday the attacks “involved a series of government artillery and tank shellings on a residential neighborhood” and again demanded that President Bashar al-Assad withdraw heavy weapons from Syrian towns. Kofi Annan, the United Nations and Arab League envoy to Syria, was flying into Damascus on Monday in a desperate attempt to try to rescue his peace plan.

Related posts

Afghans mourn ex President Rabbani

Nine O' Clock

Syrian rebels claim capture of air base

Nine O' Clock

Syria’s Assad says military ‘needs time to win battle’

Nine O' Clock

Leave a Comment