Octavian Grecu, Sorin Gazdac, Nicole Saikaly and 17 more remanded by the Bucharest Tribunal
The name of Sorin Blejnar, former president of the National Agency for Fiscal Administration (ANAF) appears in connection with a new tax evasion case file involving several ANAF employees, Mediafax reports. According to the prosecutors’ report, Senator Cezar Magureanu allegedly took care of the forms required for his daughter and son-in-law to get an audience with the former ANAF head.Contacted by Antena 3, the former ANAF chief would not make any statement concerning the accusations. According to the report drafted by the Organized Crime and terrorism Investigation Directorate (DIICOT), Magureanu threatened the ANAF inspectors.Not only that, Senator Cezar Magureanu went to the DIICOT yesterday, where he was summoned in connection to the tax evasion file wherein his daughter and son-in-law, Octavian Grecu, aka “Buttons” are also involved, along with some ANAF officials. Magureanu yesterday, too, held he had not lent his support to anybody and knew nothing whatsoever about the case. He said that his son-in-law’s businesses are not his concern and he is not at all afraid about the accusations leveled at him, since he didn’t commit such deeds.On his way out of the DIICOT building, where he had been for over an hour, Cezar Magureanu said he hadn’t made any statement to prosecutors and would return for it “next week.He won’t answer journalists’ question about the likely ties between his daughter and son-in-law and former ANAF head, and insisted on journalists to leave his family alone.Once Magureanu got into his car, Florin Nedelcu, one of the lawyers that accompanied him to the DIICOT, sad that the senator had been charged, without saying what the DIICOT prosecutors charged Magureanu with. They however presented him with the charges and banned him from leaving the country for one month. Also, Octavian Grecu, aka “Buttons”, the senator’s son-in-law, and 17 more people were remanded by the Bucharest Tribunal, with the Court to also reach a verdict on the other people charged in the tax dodging file. The ruling can be challenge on appeal to the Bucharest Court of Appeal.Two Bucharest Tribunal judges served on two different panels Wednesday night debating the DIICOT prosecutors’ proposal to have 39 people remanded, who were involved in the tax evasion file which produced during 2010-2012 an estimated annual damage of over 40 M euro. The court decided for a group of 20 people to be tried by a judge, and 19, by another.