The European Commission (CE) will reduce, through financial corrections, the funds made available to Romania for the programmes related to the regional sector, environment, transport and competitiveness, because of irregularities identified in public acquisitions, official sources said for Mediafax. “Following the analysis, the European Commission found a series of system irregularities related to the area of public acquisitions and will apply certain financial corrections. These corrections, which could amount to several percent points of the allotted funds, will be negotiated with the Romanian side for each individual programme,” the sources said. Starting July 1, Romania stopped sending to the EC refunding requests for these four operational programmes, and the EC analysed whether Romanian authorities observed the conditions assumed at the end of last year. In December 2011, the EC allowed resuming payments to Romania for these four operational programmes, on condition that Bucharest authorities meet – bye end-June 2012 – a number of conditions related to the internal organising of management authorities and public acquisitions. This summer, President Traian Basescu said that, in August, Romania will not receive “any euro” of the European funds, pretending that payments are “informally” discontinued.