24.5 C
Bucharest
May 12, 2021
POLITICS

MAE says Algeria provided inaccurate information about second Romanian victim

The Algerian ambassador  says that the authorities of his country made no communication error. President Basescu wonders “what we assume from what occurred in Algeria.”

After the death of the second Romanian citizen in the hostage-taking standoff was confirmed, the Foreign Ministry (MAE) criticised the authorities of this country for the poor communication over the fate of Romanian nationals. The secretary general of MAE, Robert Cazanciuc said Sunday evening that the ministry expresses its “deep disappointment over the fact that Algerian authorities did not provide correct, concrete and timely information about the fate of the second Romanian that died following the attack of Algeria.” “The western partners confirmed to us yesterday that the last Romanian citizen had been freed and hospitalised, as no access to the site was allowed. The end of the military operation unveiled the whole dimension of the terrorist attack, the large number of victims and the violence against several citizens. MAE will ensure the repatriation of the lifeless bodies of the two Romanian citizens,” Cazanciuc added.In his turn, the minister of Foreign Affairs, Titus Corlatean said that Romanian authorities could have managed the situation differently if they were informed that the hostage was in a “serious” medical condition that threatened his life. The explanation was provided after PM Victor Ponta and minister Titus Corlatean announced Saturday, in a joint press conference, that a Romanian national was killed in Algeria and four others survived and were rescued to safety. Subsequently, Sunday afternoon, MAE confirmed the death of a second Romanian hostage. The two victims had their domiciles in Barcanesti and Ploiesti, Prahova County.In his turn, Defence minister Mircea Dusa said on TV Sunday evening that, apparently, the communication of the Algerian state and army with the other components of the political system of security was not very good during the terrorist attack. He explained that he approved a military flight to Algiers on Monday, in order to repatriate the bodies of the two Romanians killed during the attack. The C-27 J Spartan aircraft operated by MApN took off yesterday afternoon towards Algiers.

Algerian ambassador denies communication errorThe ambassador of Algeria in Bucharest, Habib Chawki Hamraoui said yesterday that the authorities of his country committed no error in communication regarding the Romanian hostages of Amenas. “We clearly told Romanian authorities that we had a deceased person, three other people had been released and there was another one which we knew nothing about and, when we learned about his death, we relayed the information at the right moment,” the Algerian ambassador explained after the meeting between President Traian Basescu and the representatives of the diplomatic corps, held at the Cotroceni Palace. Asked why he did not inform about the existence of a fifth Romanian hostage who was seriously injured, the Algerian diplomat answered that he did not had this piece of information. “We have nothing to blame us for,” he mentioned, adding that the authorities of his country intervened to rescue all hostages, without discrimination or preferences. According to the ambassador, the hostage rescue operation was “complicated” and “the commandos were made of people with foreign nationality, only three Algerians.” “I would like to express the clear position of Algeria: no negotiations with terrorists and relentless fight against international terrorism,” the Algerian diplomat stressed.

Related posts

PM slams Viviane Reding for Schengen remarks

Nine O' Clock

Liberal leader on party reconstruction: Large-scale project will never rely on one person alone

Nine O' Clock

Chamber of Deputies votes for vacation of Becali deputy seat

Nine O' Clock