40 searches were conducted Friday at various addresses of Bucharest, Ilfov and Giurgiu, targeting people suspected of embezzling money from the thermal energy provider Regia Autonoma de Distributie a Energiei Termice (RADET), Mediafax reports. Prosecutors seized EUR 500,000, along with contracts, payment documents, invoices and work estimates found during the raids. Police sources said that there are suspicions about the EUR 500,000 being received as bribe. Searches were also conducted at the head offices of RADET and of other firms, including the construction company Erbasu, as well as a number of homes. Lawyer Alexandru Avramescu announced that investigators seized documents detailing the collaboration between the Erbasu company and RADET in 2012.
The CEO of RADET Bucharest, Ion Voicu said that he never awarded preferential contracts in exchange of bribes and never signed such documents that led to losses for the company he manages.
The general mayor of Bucharest, Sorin Oprescu mentioned that, last year, RADET’s debts had reached ROL 8,500 bln as penalties, with the principal being ROL 5,000 bln.