The National Association of Internet Providers (ANISP) complained, on April 8, to the European Commission for the non-intervention of the Communications Regulatory Authority (ANCOM) and the Competition Council, which took no measures in the NetCity case, ANISP president Mihai Batraneanu announced yesterday, during an event dedicated to the NetCity row. He added that, in the near future, he will also file a criminal complaint against Catalin Marinescu, the president of ANCOM. Mihai Batraneanu reiterated the accusations launched in February this year, warning that many internet providers are on the edge of collapse and small networks are decimated because of the NetCity project, the metropolitan fiber optics network of Bucharest, as a consequence of the “abusive” and “preferential prices” charged by NetCity Telecom, the company that took in concession this project.
He accused the NetCity network of instating a monopoly in Bucharest, as the officials of ANCOM and the Competition Council take no measure.In retort, during the same event, Adrian Florea, the CEO of NetCity Telecom said that the company respected its obligations towards the Bucharest Municipality and, at the end of last year, it had about 870 km of underground tubes for fiber optics cables. “NetCity is not a monopoly. Let’s look at dimensions. According to our data, Bucharest needs more than 6,000 km of underground tubes, while NetCity only operates some 870 km, under 15 pc of the total length,” said Adrian Florea, the CEO of NetCity Telecom.