22.1 C
Bucharest
May 19, 2022
POLITICS

Appeal in Zambaccian case, postponed until June 3

The 5-judge panel of the High Court of Cassation and Justice (ICCJ) postponed yesterday until June 3 the appeals in the Zambaccian case, as the lawyer of Irina Jianu asked judges a respite so she can prepare the defense. Adrian and Dana Nastase were in the courtroom, accompanied by their son Andrei Nastase. “He is the spokesman and must be present,” the former premier explained the presence of his son. “Thank you for your interest in this case. The matter raised by the lawyer of Ms. Jianu is very serious. Because of objective motives, this defense could only be established 2-3 days ago, when they met at the penitentiary. But I don’t want to elaborate on these things,” Adrian Nastase said upon leaving the courthouse.Asked about the source of the money he used to pay the damage in the ‘Quality Trophy’ file, Adrian Nastase answered: “I will make things clear when the time will come.” Nastase was also asked who is ‘Judas the traitorous apprentice,’ which he mentioned in a column he published on Easter.

“If I wanted to personalise the respective opinions and matters, I would have done it at that moment. But there are many things I keep for myself. Honestly, I prefer not to look back at some things that affected me these years,” Nastase added, explaining that the traitorous apprentice ‘by no means’ is PM Victor Ponta, but “he is someone I will not speak about.”“The Zambaccian case is a file where countless things left from other cases were merged, so there were many things to clarify and they were clarified in the first trial, so I am convinced that nothing will change. (…) I came hoping that things will clarify in the end.

This is the third file. In the first – Aunt Tamara – as you know, an acquittal was pronounced, in the second I was sentenced with circumstantial evidence and based on logical-philosophical arguments, and in this one – you know very well – I was acquitted, together with my wife, by the first panel of judges. (…) I am absolutely convinced that, in this case too, as it happened with the file in which I was acquitted, the pieces of evidence that were obvious in the first trial will prevail and the acquittal will be reconfirmed. (…) This is an appeal, a trial where evidence can be admitted ad the statement, I think, is useful for this new court,” Nastase said upon arriving at ICCJ.In March 2012, a 3-judge panel of the Supreme Court sentenced Nastase to three years in prison – suspended – for blackmail and cleared him of the bribe taking charge.At that time, magistrates acquitted his wife, Dana Nastase, who had been charged with complicity to bribe giving and money laundering, while sentencing her to three years – suspended – for improper participation in the use of forged documents at the customs authority.Former premier Adrian Nastase was formally charged, on May 5, 2010, by the National Anticorruption Directorate of taking bribes regarding goods brought from China, the so-called ‘Zambaccian I’ file. Irina Jianu is charged with complicity to bribe giving.

Related posts

NEWS IN BRIEF

Test

Renate Weber elected Ombudsman

NINE O'CLOCK

Tusk in letter to Tudose: Rule of law and progress in anti-corruption fight are crucial for Romanians to benefit from membership of EU

Nine O' Clock