16.8 C
Bucharest
September 27, 2021
POLITICS

Melescanu: President didn’t request me a list, but names

Former Foreign Intelligence Service (SIE) head Teodor Melescanu said on Friday that President Traian Basescu didn’t request him to present a list, but the names of Government members that also served as undercover officers.  “If this talk is specifically about a list, then it’s correct, the President didn’t ask for a list, he asked for the names of Government members who are also undercover officers. But ‘names’ means several people, this is why I referred to a list of covert officers,” presidential candidate Teodor Melescanu told a press conference.  Melescanu explained that the head of state asked for information on whether current or former SIE officers are in the Government, complete with the periods of their service.
“I don’t think this was a situation without precedent, reform and respect for legality all the way have been the main feature of the intelligence services’ activity. My answer was not a refusal to the President, because this would be out of question given our positions in the state. It was a response by SIE which made it clear that according to the law such information cannot be made available to anyone.” Melescanu further stated that the President, the Prime Minister and the heads of the two Parliament Chambers must have access to all the necessary information for them to adequately carry out their activities and make correct decisions.”
“I have no agreement with anyone”
Independent presidential candidate Teodor Melescanu on Friday said he received a proposal for attending an electoral debate from the presidential candidate of the electoral alliance of the Social Democratic Party (PSD), the National Union for Romania’s Progress (UNPR) and the Conservative Party (PC) and he answered that he is ready for a debate any time.  ‘I have replied in writing that as far as I am concerned, I am ready to attend such a debate any time, provided that I am informed previously about the place, date and time of the debate as well as the issues to be debated on,’ Melescanu told a press conference.  He suggested that on October 20, all the candidates’ campaigns mandate a representative each to meet representatives of the main media organisations to discuss holding a presidential debate.
He said there is enough time for at least two-three debates before the electioneering ends.
Asked whether there is an agreement between him and outgoing President Traian Basescu over a two-year term in office, instead of a five-year term, so that in 2016 a new round of election may be held to bring to the same year the presidential and general elections, he said he has no agreement with anyone.

Related posts

There are no undercover officers in the Parliament, SRI head says

Nine O' Clock

Love in PSD, between Vanghelie and Oana Mizil

Nine O' Clock

Mystery surrounding PSD’s nomination for PM’s office seems to lift. Do Social Democrats nevertheless have a surprise nomination in store?

Nine O' Clock