20.8 C
Bucharest
June 18, 2021
Social

High-speed internet grows by 2 million connections in a year

 

Mobile broadband internet has grow from 8.2 million active connections in mid-2013 to 10.5 million active connections in mid-2014, namely by an average of over 1 million connections every 6 months or over 2 million connections in a year, shows a communiqué released by the National Authority for Management and Regulation in Communications (ANCOM).

According to the statistics published by ANCOM, the growth rate of mobile internet continued to be superior to that of landline internet in the first half of 2014. “In the case of broadband landline internet, there is an average growth of over 100,000 connections every 6 months, the growth being from 3.7 million connections on 30 June 2013 to 3.9 million connections on the same date in 2014, while broadband mobile internet registered a jump from 8.2 million active connections in mid-2013 to 10.5 million connections in mid-2014, meaning an average of over 1 million connections every 6 months,” the aforementioned communiqué reads.

ANCOM data also show that the broadband landline internet’s penetration rate is 19.4 per cent at national level, almost three quarters of the connections being used in urban areas (2.8 million) and more than a quarter in rural areas (1.1 million).

Likewise, the structure of landline internet access connections has remained almost unchanged: approximately 2.1 million connections were through UTP/FTP cable (approximately 55 per cent of total connections), almost 600,000 were through coaxial cable (15 per cent of total connections), and over 1 million were through copper wires (27 per cent of total connections).

In the case of mobile internet access connections, halfway through 2014 over 8.5 million of the 14.4 million active connections were using 3G technology and technology superior to 3G respectively, 253,000 of them using 4G technology.

“Of the total 14.4 million mobile internet connections half were used on the basis of pre-paid cards and half on the basis of subscriptions, 5.3 million of the latter belonging to physical persons and 1.9 million to juridical persons. In what concerns the means of access, 89 per cent of mobile connections were accessed through mobile phone/smartphone, while the remaining 11 per cent were accessed through modems/cards or USBs,” communiqué points out.

 

Related posts

Supreme Court Judge questioned as witness in the case of Veronica Cirstoiu

Nine O' Clock

CCR allows lawyers to plead in courts where relatives work as judges

Nine O' Clock

Foreign Ministry urges nationals to leave Ivory Coast

Test