Former DIICOT head Alina Bica was on Tuesday taken to Court for the first date in the proceedings of the trial where she was charged with abuse of power. The case is currently pending in the preliminary chamber and the judges are supposed to check the legality of preventive measures taken in her case.
Alina Bica was detained by the anti-corruption prosecutors in November last year for questioning and then arrested. The other suspects that joined her to the central detention centre of the Police were Lăcrămioara Alexandru, Dragoş Bogdan and Oana Vasilescu, former members of the ANRP damages commission.
Alina Bica’s lawyer Laura Voicu said her client didn’t know anything about the nature of the checks and that she was ready to prove her innocence. ‘Alina Bica is ready to fight, ready to prove her innocence. It all happened very fast, we are now focussed on the court date tomorrow (Tuesday – a/n) and we’ll see what we’ll do next after tomorrow’, the lawyer said on Antena 3 TV. She noted that the elements constituting the criminal offence Bica was charged with were not met, that the material element of the crime no longer existed.
DIICOT checks: Vosganian, Videanu and Tender cases under scrutiny
DIICOT commenced an internal check verifying several cases of economic offences. B1 TV quotes sources as noting that among the checked cases there are those involving ex-Economy Ministers Adriean Videanu and Varujan Vosganian and businessman Ovidiu Tender.
The Judicial Inspection sent to the Superior Council of Magistracy (CSM) at mid-December the 2015 inspection schedule, and DIICOT was on the list. The management of the Department will be verified.
Sources quoted by Agerpres say that it is a routine annual check looking at cases currently being dealt with.