Prosecutor General Tiberiu Nitu has announced on Thursday that he has asked all the institutions in his subordination to form a situation report on the cases involving former president Traian Basescu.
“Yesterday I gave orders that such a report be drawn up and I requested the Criminal Prosecution Department, the National Anti-corruption Directorate (DNA), and the Directorate for Investigating Organised Crime and Terrorism (DIICOT) to communicate a situation report on all the cases”, said Tiberiu Nitu at the headquarters of the Supreme Council of Magistracy (CSM), quoted by Agerpres.
At the end of December, prosecutors with the General Prosecutor’s office resumed the criminal investigation in the case put forth by Social Democrat (PSD) senator Gabriela Firea who accused Traian Basescu of blackmail. On April 16, she submitted a criminal complaint regarding Traian Basescu, accusing him of threats and blackmail regarding a series of statements made in a televised show.
The investigation into the case had been suspended as a consequence of the immunity former President Traian Basescu benefited from.
Tiberiu Nitu had previously declared that, from the information he holds, the former head of state was not heard in the case yet. “The hearings can be made before a criminal investigation is started regarding a person, but also after”, Prosecutor-General on Monday told journalists gathered at the CSM HQs for the institution’s plenary meeting aimed at electing its new leadership. Whena asked by journalists about other cases involving the ex-president, Nitu said he did not ask for such a situation on the files involving former President Traian Basescu, which could be resumed in the context of the latter’s having completed his term in office.