Minister of National Defence Mircea Dusa said on Friday in Targu Mures that the Russian propaganda is quite active, but pointed out that Romania does not get intimidated by statements like those made recently by spokesman of the Russian Foreign Ministry Alexander Lukashevich.
Lukashevich said on April 8 that NATO plans to deploy troops to Romania, very close to the Russian border, are “inadequate” and “confrontational.”
”In the first place, let me note that the Russian propaganda is quite active, you saw all sorts of statements are being traded. But we don’t get intimidated by such statements. The Summit in Wales last year decided measures to provide reassurance along the eastern flank of NATO and of the European Union, with NATO rotational forces being deployed on a permanent basis, and the bill on the access of foreign troops to Romania’s territory was approved by the Government, it will definitely be referred to the Romania’s Supreme Defence Council – CSAT and afterwards to Parliament, thus creating the possibilities to implement the reassurance measures along NATO’s and the EU’s eastern flank,” Dusa said quoted by Agerpres.
The Minister explained that after Parliament approves the amendments to Law No. 291 on the stationing of foreign troops on Romania’s territory, it will be again for the lawmaking body to approve the NATO manpower and military capabilities to be organized in Romania.