Turning away or letting the migrants who want to get into the European Union die at sea is absolutely unacceptable, Premier Victor Ponta declared on Saturday in an interview with the Al Jazeera TV channel, cautioning at the same time that “we should prepare for new waves of migrants,” and that the Black Sea has become a new migrant route into the EU.
“Rejecting and letting the migrants who seek to enter the European Union die at sea is unacceptable,” said the head of the Romanian Government in the interview granted while on an Arabian Gulf tour.
“We cannot build a wall against the people who want to reach Europe,” Ponta argued, stressing that “thousands of hopeless people attempt every day to reach Europe.”
“It is unacceptable for the EU to say they can do nothing else but turn these people away”, he added.
Victor Ponta also said that the EU should allocate extra funds and set immigrant integration policies in place. “We need to find policies to integrate most of them. This is my country’s response, the only democratic response,” he explained quoted by Agerpres.
“All the European countries can afford receiving immigrants. Immigrants bring added value to society. They work hard, they adjust very quickly. This is my opinion and it’s Romania’s experience too,” Ponta said, stressing that “extremist and populist politicians use the subject of immigration in the political battle,” which is “against European values.”
Ponta also admitted that the Black Sea has become a new route for EU-bound migrants and urged understanding for the pressure faced by Turkey that has two million Syrian war refugees to deal with.
“We must prepare for new waves of migrants”, Victor Ponta, who began on Friday an official visit to the State of Qatar, warned.
Europe faces a massive wave of refugees from Africa and the Middle East, who take advantage of the absence of a central state authority in Libya and attempt to make it from here to the European continent across the Mediterranean, often in makeshift boats.
More than 3,000 migrants died last year in such desperate sea passages, and the year to date death toll has already topped 1,600; the shipwreck occurred in the night of April 18 to 19 alone made 800 victims, prompting EU leaders to hold an emergency summit on April 23.