20.6 C
Bucharest
June 26, 2022
POLITICS

Liviu Dragnea resigned from PSD leadership, decision of party council postponed until Wednesday

Former minister Liviu Dragnea, sentenced to a one-year suspended prison term on Friday, has submitted on Monday his resignation from the executive chairmanship of the ruling Social Democrat Party (PSD). He had already resigned from the ministry of administration on Friday; a decision on his retirement from the party leadership will be taken by the PSD National Executive Council on Wednesday.

After Dragnea tended his resignation to the National Standing Bureau (BPN) of the PSD, the party chairman, Prime Minister Victor Ponta disapproved Mr. Dragnea’s resignation. “We will meet on Wednesday in the upper structure, the National Executive Committee, to see exactly what we have to do, because the situation is very important. We’re punished, all the PSD, for suspending ex-President Traian Basescu and for the referendum in 2012 to oust him from presidency] Those in the National Liberal Party (PNL),  shirked in their usual style and know nothing more about Basescu and the 2012 referendum, and I want us all to discuss the measures to take,” said Victor Ponta.

“Dragnea did not suspend Basescu on his own,” Ponta added, according to Agerpres.

Reminded of a Social Democrat National Council decision in March to discharge any party member with judiciary problems, Ponta asserted it specifically referred to those sentenced for corruption.

 

Former minister  says resignation from executive chairmanship would hurt Social Democrat Party

 

Former minister Liviu Dragnea says his resignation from the position of executive chair of the Social Democrat Party (PSD) would leave it exposed in a pre-election year, just when it needs to prepare for the local elections of 2016.

Dragnea, who already resigned from the ministry of administration, told Antena 3 TV on Sunday that many PSD county chapters asked him to keep his party office, either by communiques and resolutions or by direct phone calls and text messages to Prime Minister Victor Ponta, asking the rejection of a possible retirement.

 

He admitted he was very much hurt by the sentence and insisted he was not guilty of the charges of fraud in a 2012 referendum to oust former President Traian Basescu; he should announce on Monday his decision concerning the executive chairmanship of the PSD.

 

Related posts

US Ambassador Klemm: We are closely monitoring Parliament’s initiative regarding new package of modifications to justice laws

Nine O' Clock

PSD’s Ciolacu: Romania is not ready to start electioneering in two weeks’ time

NINE O'CLOCK

Foreign Minister pays official visit to Washington

Test