WORLD

Foreign Ministry checking veridicity of message supposingly coming from holders of Romanian abducted in Burkina Faso

The inter-institutional crisis task force that handles the case of the Romanian citizen abducted in Burkina Faso is analyzing press reports about an audio message related to the abductee, the Romanian Foreign Ministry informs in a release to Agerpres on Tuesday.

“The competent Romanian authorities represented in the inter-institutional crisis task force summoned by the Foreign Ministry after the abduction are carrying out urgent checks on the veracity of the information presented in the news, the audio message included. The inter-institutional task force (that includes representatives of the Romanian Intelligence Service (SRI), the Foreign Intelligence Service (SIE), the Defence Ministry and the Presidential Administration) are working round the clock to manage the situation,” says the Foreign Ministry.

“Each institution is acting with the specific tools and methods as per the competencies established through the methodology approved by Romania’s Supreme Defence Council (CSAT). The inter-institutional crisis task force is working closely with Romania’s international partners,” reads the release.

In an audio message aired on Monday by the Mauritanian agency Al-Akhbar, the jihadi group Al-Mourabitoun announced they are holding the Romanian kidnapped in Burkina Faso in April this year. The message was apparently coming from the one who bills himself as the new leader of the group, a rival of Algerian commander Mokhtar Belmokhtar, AFP reports. Claiming to speak on behalf of Adnan Abou Walid Sahraoui, emir of Al-Mourabitoun, the author of this Arabic record “calls on the Romanian government to give serious attention to negotiations for the release of the hostage held by the group.”

The Romanian, a security guard at a Tambao manganese mine in northern Burkina Faso, near the border with Niger and Mali, was kidnapped on April 4 by armed men wearing turbans, but no credible claim for the kidnapping has been made so far.

 

PM Ponta on abducted Romanian: As soon as data to be made public occur, we shall tell

 

Prime minister, Victor Ponta said on Tuesday that both he and the president are being informed by the Foreign Affairs Minister who is managing the inter-institutional crisis task-force set up at the MAE HQs, on the situation of the Romanian abducted in Burkina Faso, and that as soon as data to be made public appear, they will be communicated to the public, too.

‘I couldn’t say anything other than the Foreign Affairs Ministry has already told you. The Foreign Affairs minister, Mr. Aurescu, told me, everything we’ll know and we’ll be able to communicate, we’ll do it through the crisis task-force,’ the Prime minister said.

 

Victor Ponta has confirmed that the Foreign Affairs minister, Bogdan Aurescu, who is in Brussels, will return to Bucharest since ‘we are facing a special situation, which we are dealing with and as soon as we have things to be made public, we’ll tell.’

Prime minister, Victor Ponta participated this morning in the ‘Romania – a holistic approach to combatting violence against women and domestic violence’ international conference at the Carol I University Central Library, Agerpres informs

 

 

Related posts

13 killed in Afghanistan blast

Test

EU proposes migrant rescue mission

Nine O' Clock

Enrico Letta set to become Italy’s new prime minister

Nine O' Clock

Leave a Comment