6.3 C
Bucharest
October 25, 2021
HEALTH SOCIAL & HEALTH

Bucharest fire: President Iohannis calls for solidarity in asking authorities’ responsibility in avoiding tragedies. “We cannot let anymore the corruption spread until it kills”

In a video message posted on Sunday on his Facebook page, President Klaus Iohannis called on Romanians to show solidarity and ask authorities to be responsible in order to avoid new tragedies like Friday’s night fire in the Colectiv club of Bucharest, as the death toll hit 30 and scores of the more than 140 wounded admitted in hospitals were in a critical condition.

“In these moments it is our duty to learn a lesson, one unfortunately paid with so many lives and so much suffering. We are not allowed to tolerate any longer the incompetence of some authorities, the inefficiency of some institutions; we cannot let anymore the corruption spread until it kills. Each of us must fully assume the role of active and involved citizens, knowing how to act together because they care about the society and the country we live in; we must show solidarity and ask authorities to be responsible, so that such tragedies never occur again. Tenths of harshly hit youths and their families deserve this commitment of ours,” the President said in his message.

He underscored the tragedy should be considered with compassion and responsibility.

“Ladies and gentlemen, my dear compatriots, I am addressing today each one of you with the thought we’re going through a moment of hard woes. A terrible tragedy has hit hundreds of Romanian families. Either we think to those who perished in the devastating fire or we pray for the health and survival of youths struggling for their lives in hospitals, we must consider this tragedy with all our compassion and equally with all our responsibility. There are moments when a nation shows the extent of its cohesion, of its solidarity, and ultimately of its strength. Today we all can show we do care and we are united. Hundreds of nurses, attendants and doctors who reported to their hospitals without being called or having to, the thousands of Romanians who donated blood or the dozens of students and volunteers who offered their support wherever it was necessary have already proved it,” Iohannis continued.

He thanked the medical staff, donors, students and volunteers for their initiative, involvement and humanity. “I assure all of them of my respect, and convey to them the gratitude of many fellow citizens,” the President concluded.


President calls for investigation of maximum effectiveness, decisiveness and swiftness in enforcing the law

President Iohannis who saw Prosecutor General Tiberiu Nitu, Deputy Prime-Minister Oprea and Secretary of State Raed Arafat on Saturday asked that the investigation into the Colectiv Club tragedy ‘should be carried out with a maximum of effectiveness, decisiveness and swiftness in enforcing the law’.
President Klaus Iohannis met with the Prosecutor General of the Prosecutor’s Office of the High Court of Cassation and Justice, Tiberiu Nitu, Deputy Prime-Minister Gabriel Oprea and Secretary of State Raed Arafat at Cotroceni Saturday afternoon’, the Presidential Administration reports.
The source says President Iohannis asked them that the investigation into the Colectiv Club tragedy ‘should be carried out with a maximum of effectiveness, decisiveness and swiftness in enforcing the law’.
‘During the meeting, the president was briefed on the first conclusions on the consequences of the event, measures that had been taken by the authorities, the mobilisation of the forces concerned in the rescue operations as well as the decisions planned for the upcoming period in order to contain the consequences of the tragedy. The president called upon all relevant authorities to inform him in real time on the developments in the condition of the hospitalised victims’, the Presidential Administration also informed.
On Saturday, the president visited the Floreasca Hospital, where some of the victims of the tragedy had been admitted, but also the scene of the tragedy, the Colectiv Club. He said the facility was totally improper and that ‘it is unimaginable that so many people could be there for a concert’.
President Iohannis also said that the tragedy had happened because ‘simple rules were ignored’. ‘I wanted to see the place. It’s a totally improper space, I talked to those present. It is unimaginable that so many people could be for a concert in that place and a tragedy could happen in such a short time because simple rules had been ignored.’


Government decrees there days of national mourning after Colectiv Club tragedy

The Government adopted on Saturday the decision declaring the days of 31 October, 1 and 2 November days of national mourning in the Romanian territory, after the Colectiv Club fire with a death roll of 27 and approximately 200 injured people, most of the latter being now in hospitals.
At the beginning of the Cabinet meeting, Ponta told the minister he regretted to be seeing them in meeting because pf a tragedy where so many young peo0ple had lost their lives.
‘I deeply regret that we have to hold this extraordinary Cabinet meeting because of this tragedy that took away the lives of so many young people. I would like to send my entire solidarity and moral support that we can all give to the families and victims, to those who had to suffer and I would like to ask you to observe a few moments of silence for all those who lost their lives’, the premier pointed out.
The PM also said that, unfortunately, it was the second tragedy of that magnitude during the term of his Government after the Montenegro accident in 2013 where 19 died and 29 suffered injuries. Ponta added he was convinced that such accidents could be avoided.


Iohannis recollects at the place of tragedy

President Klaus Iohannis went to the Colectiv Club on Saturday, the place of the tragedy where 29 persons were killed and approximately 200 were injured. The president brought a bunch of flowers and lit up a candle. When he left, Iohannis said what happened was ‘unbelievable’ and that the space was totally improper.
‘I wanted to see the place where the tragedy happened last night and to leave some flowers and a candle here. May God forgive them!’, the head of state said.
‘It is unimaginable that so many people could be for a concert in that place and a tragedy could happen in such a short time because simple rules had been ignored’, Iohannis accused.
The president wished the victims who were in hospitals ‘health, good luck and that they may come out of it in good conditions’ and presented ‘sincerest condolences; to the mourning families, telling them that he was ‘close to them with all his heart’.
Klaus Iohannis reminded that the Government would declare nationwide mourning and proposed a moment of silence for the deceased after the press statement.

Related posts

GCS: Romania’s COVID-19 daily case count rises by 3.264 in the last 24 hours, following over 36.000 tests nationwide

NINE O'CLOCK

Three Romanian servicemen injured in Afghanistan; two stable, one seriously wounded

Nine O' Clock

Fire ravages club in northern Bucharest; 1 person seriously injured, 37 minor injuries, no deaths. Prosecutors start criminal investigation regarding involuntary destruction

Nine O' Clock