The General Prosecutor’s Office detained on Monday night all the three associates of the Colectiv Club of Bucharest.
Costin Mincu was the last to be taken in handcuffs to the Bucharest Police detention facility, after nine hours of hearings by the prosecutors. The other two owners of the club, Alin Anastasescu and Paul Gancea were detained earlier in the evening. All three are charged with multiple manslaughter and involuntary injuries, following the fire that burned down their club on Friday night.
The three should be taken to court within 24 hours, for a possible decision to place them under preventive arrest for a maximum of 30 days.
The fire casualties include 27 people who died on the spot, either inside the club or immediately after being rescued; the death toll reached 31 after four more victims died through Monday in Bucharest’s hospitals, where more than 130 wounded are under treatment, some of them in a critical condition.
A release of the General Prosecutor’s Office (PG, usual name of the Prosecutors Body of the High Court of Cassation and Justice, Romania’s Supreme Court) informed Agerpres on Monday night that the Bucharest Tribunal prosecutors ordered an investigation on October 31, for first degree murder and aggravated damages, to establish the circumstances after being informed about the fire. The PG took over the case early on November 1. Investigations so far showed that the managers of the club encouraged and allowed the access of much more people than the club’s authorized limit, although the emergency evacuation exits were insufficient; they also allowed fireworks at the indoors show, in inadequate premises with flammable materials (soundproofing and decorations) installed illegally, in order to avoid additional costs. As a result, several people present in the club died or suffered bodily injuries.
Considering the circumstances of the act, the evidence produced so far by the criminal investigation reveals the guilt as involuntary, not intended; therefore, a [prosecutor’s] order of November 2, 2015 changed the charges from first degree murder to manslaughter; subsequent orders were issued to continue the investigations of Gancea, Anastasescu and Mincu, the PG’s release mentions.
General Prosecutor: Club fire investigation targeting private companies, state authorities; 40 people heard so far
Romanian General Prosecutor Tiberiu Nitu (photo) said Monday night that the prosecutors’ investigation into the causes of a fire at the Colectiv Club in the capital is being conducted in all areas, both as regards the private companies and the state authorities, with 40 people having been heard so far.
“Forty people have been heard since Saturday till now. Several documents were seized from individuals and private firms. All the persons to be proved guilty in this case will face criminal charges. The investigation is being conducted in all areas, both as regards the private companies and the state authorities”, Nitu said on leaving the General Prosecutor’s offices.
He explained that the prosecutors succeeded to identify the persons and the company that had supplied the materials used in a show with fireworks inside the Colectiv club on the night of the fire that killed 31 people and injured around 130.
When asked whether corruption acts were revealed in this file, the General Prosecutor stressed that the prosecutors’ inquiry has so far been focused on the victims.
“We’ve pledged we’ll pay special attention to this case. We’ll try to carry out an effective investigation, in a reasonable time by the observance of all the rights and guarantees relating a trial”, he added.