Defence Minister Mihnea Motoc said Monday that a third Afghan national was reportedly arrested in connection with an incident on Saturday that left two Romanian soldiers dead near Kandahar, Afghanistan.
“Apparently, there is a third Afghan national reportedly arrested over the incident. Unfortunately, such incidents have enough precedents in the Afghan theatre of war. They have mercilessly stricken our allies and the Americans. Special measures have been taken to prevent and fight against such incidents. Procedures are being implemented specially for such risks, but, nonetheless, they cannot be ruled out from the war theatre such as the Afghan one, where risks are very high, despite the phenomenon having abated and even disappeared at one time,” Motoc told a wreath-laying ceremony in Bucharest at the WWII National Heroes’ Monument in Bucharest on May 9.
He said a military inquiry into the incident is currently being conducted by Romanians with support and intelligence from NATO and Afghan authorities.
“It was a fire exchange at a base of the special Afghan police where our troops were conducting training missions with them. Fire opened by two uniform-clad Afghan police officers, possibly Afghan police officers. Our troops returned fire immediately and downed the aggressors. Unfortunately, three of our special operation troops were injured, and rushed to the war hospital in Kandahar. Two of them died – posthumous Sub-Lieutenant Iulian Dumitrescu and Sub-Lieutenant Adrian Vizireanu. I have been very much affected by this unexpected piece of news, all the more so as less than six days previously I visited them at their base and earlier this year I had also visited their unit in Buzau, Romania,” added Motoc.