28.1 C
June 28, 2022

ISU: Firefighters continue to extinguish fire at Jilava footwear factory

Firefighters have continued their actions at the footwear factory in Jilava to extinguish the fire that broke out on Monday, Bucharest Inspectorate for Emergency Situations (ISU) Spokesman Daniel Vasile told Agerpres.

According to him, eight water and foam trucks are at the scene, which, he says, are on a difficult mission.

“The fire is burning slowly inside the hall, where the water flow does not reach. Raw material for footwear manufacturing and finished products are burning up. We have water, but it does not reach the right spot, the centre of the hall,” Vasile explained.

He pointed out that the fire extenguishing operations will continue on Tuesday.

The fire broke out at the footwear factory in Jilava on Monday, spreading over 2,000 square metres. During the firefighting operations a fireman died.

The first resources to battle the fire were dispatched at 7:30 a.m., announced spokesman of the Bucharest Inspectorate for Emergency Situations (ISU) Daniel Vasile, adding that there are no water supplies in the area and the fire trucks replenish from the nearest source in the locality.

“Intervention teams were assigned to each side of the building, so as to take action on the perimeter. There are at least 13 fire trucks, four ladder trucks, Mobile Emergency Resuscitation and Extrication Service crews at the site, and more than 150 firefighters, the intervention is underway. It will probably will take several hours to quench the fire. The crews battle the flames on three sides of the building, less the one where the wall collapsed. The flames have lost in intensity. (…) We estimate that that the fire was [announced] very late, because right from the first calls that came in a succession, there were reports of a very strong blaze, judging by the intensity of the smoke. When the first teams from Magurele arrived at the scene the upper part of the building was almost completely ablaze, which means that inside the fire had spread all over the place and had been probably raging for tens of minutes. Action was taken to put the fire out from outside. Hose lines were extended but the layout does not allow the ladder trucks to move in close,” said the ISU official on Monday.

Private First Class Razvan Dumitru Luchian who died while taking action at the scene of a fire after being caught under debris when a concrete wall of the building collapsed, was 34 years old, according to the Bucharest Inspectorate for Emergency Situations (ISU). He has been posthumously promoted to the rank of Sub-Lieutenant, Interior Minister Petre Toba reported on Monday in a press statement.  Luchian, 34, was a rescuing firefighter with the Buftea Detachmenet, Magurele Guard.

The Interior Minister and the entire MAI personnel have voiced deep regrets over the death of the young firefighter, conveying condolences to the family and comrades of the firefighter on their loss.

“This is, unfortunately yet another example of how dangerous being a firefighter or a police officer is, but that is a danger each of my colleagues has taken up,” Toba is quoted as saying in the statement.

MAI has started procedures for granting assistance to Luchian”s family.


Related posts

News in brief


PM Citu: Decision on reopening of schools – on February 2, based on health situation


Dozens of dead birds found in Constanta